Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:04 AM   #1

Well at least you can call it that. I was at my local park trying out my new (used) Beercan lens with my Sony A100.

1/320s f/8.0 at 210.0mm iso100

1/400s f/8.0 at 105.0mm iso100

Tim
ZippyZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2

Faces, action and detail are things to keep in mind when shooting action. Not familiar with the beercan lens but the first shot is very soft - either an aspect of the lens, miss-focused or just overly cropped. If it's one of the latter two it is easily corrected (i.e. work on focus technique and ignore the urge to heavily crop). If it's the lens itself, nothing you can do about it. In any event, a different angle is preferable - you want to catch the face. It takes work to either position yourself properly or be patient for a turn.

The second shot has the same soft haze look to it. So, maybe it's the time of day (i.e. don't want to shoot early afternoon because haze / atmosphere are at their worst). I think it's a good idea to make a panoramic out of it so you don't have all the dead space but the lack of detail keeps it from being successful, IMO. Again, tight shots of the people on the tube with details of the spray and their facial expressions would be a good thing to try. Just remember, it has to be tight in-camera. You can't crop down and retain enough detail.

Keep at it and keep trying. You'll find if you do that and keep seeking good constructive feedback you'll get better every time out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Is this what you mean by capturing thier face?

It was about 3pm and it was very hazy. I didn't use any filters.

1/500s f/8.0 at 210.0mm iso100

Bearcan lens - http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=48

Tim
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:22 PM   #4

Tim,

Yes - that's better. Next question - was this last picture a crop or is that the original framing? If it's a crop, do you have the original framing?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:07 PM   #5

Yes it is a crop. Here is a link to the full sized image. 10.2 megapixels.

http://www.pbase.com/zippyzx3/image/99779332/original

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:04 PM   #6

Tim,

That's what I thought. The problem with the lack of sharpness and detail is a result of you cropping so much.

As a generalguideline for human subjects you want the human subject filling 1/2 the frame in-camera. It's a guideline not a hard and fast rule. But when you crop as much as you did you just lose way too much detail.

Keep at it, and please keep that thought in mind when composing future action shots. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how that one simple thing can greatly improve the quality of your results.

Good luck!
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:11 PM   #7

Thanks John,

This will have to do for me right now. Maybe someday(year) I'll have a fast APO at 400mm. I only had the 210mm on at the time. I do have a old Vivitar 100-400mm. But it is not a fast lens.

Tim