Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:53 PM   #1

i was wondering if you have heard what sony is doing? no i'm not getting one. a friend of mine who's son i used to coach in roller and ice hockey, has become quite the hockey player, he plays all over the nation and canada, well they were at a huge tournament in pennsylvania. well usually at these tournaments they have a pro photog and they usually have to pay big bucks to be there because they sell a bunch of photos. well sony was there letting people use their cameras for FREE, and then they would burn a cd with all the photos you took for FREE. so my friend tells me i took enough photos i would never buy from the guy who was selling photos!! i don't criticize my friend because free is free! but what about this photog who has been doing this probably for years, and paid alot of money to be there, and now he loses alot of money? but i guess thats getting to be the trend! wow
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:27 PM   #2

Hi John.

I can understand Sony's idea and I think it's a good one. Nikon did something similar with the D40 when it came out. On paper, their gear looks like it can compete with Canon and Nikon in the ameteur sports sector but they need to start capturing market share. So I think it's a good strategy.

As for your friend - yeah, it's a fact of life. Action shots aren't important enough to most people to get professional quality. They're simply after "good enough" - especially if they can take the photos themselves. I can understand that as well. I have a friend like that - he'd rather shoot his son's t-ball games himself than have me shoot them at cost (he's a friend not a client). But he'd rather do it himself and get the satisfaction of producing his own photos. I can certainly understand that.

Bottom line? We've chosen the wrong field to make money in :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Bottom line? We've chosen the wrong field to make money in :G
Exactly, that's why I switched to weddings, however the gym comps do pretty well as lighting is tough,I have close accessand no flash is allowed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:46 AM   #4

I've been reading the forum for the past week, looking for advice on upgrading my camera. I totally understand the concept of folks satisfied with "good enough" because I am one of them. :-) I've had a canon IS2 for several years and as a whole have been satisfied with the photos that I've been able to take. They are not great or even good photo's but they do represent my kids and their friends . . . and they are better than I had before. I don't have access to purchase photos. That said, I have the bug to upgrade my camera. It only has an ISO setting of 400

below are some links to pictures that I've taken. My criteria for a successful Volleyball shot. Faces and Ball. :-)

I love the portability of my IS2, but I'm looking for a camera and lense that will do better in low light. I was leaning towards the Canon EOS Rebel XSi (450D?)WouldI be able to do as well as these attached photo's with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens provided with the kit?

If I purchased a 28-75 mm 2.8 tamron would I be able to get anything? It currently seems to be out of stock . . .

I saw the VB Pictures the one guy posted using a 85 mm lens, maybe that would be better.

I imagine you can tell budget is an issue. . . . and I only have enough knowledge to be totally confused. :-)

Thanks for any advice!

son's football shot

<a href="http://lh6.ggpht.com/margstamps/SHTe...0/IMG_6817.JPG" /></a>

VB Pics

<a href="http://lh4.ggpht.com/margstamps/SHTk...0/IMG_9540.JPG" /></a>

<a href="http://lh6.ggpht.com/margstamps/SHTk...0/IMG_0309.JPG" /></a>

Swim Pic

<a href="http://lh5.ggpht.com/margstamps/SHEu...4/IMG_7000.JPG" /></a>
margstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:33 PM   #5

I'm going to recommend you start a new thread - only so that you might get appropriate replies from people who can help you decide on a camera & lens that's right for you (i.e. some people who may have good advice may not be paying attention to this thread).

Just a suggestion though!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote