Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:00 PM   #1

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between stopping the action, ISO speed, shooting position, etc..

The next agility trial I'm going to shoot more straight on if possible, to localize the movement of the dog to a fore-aft motion, so to speak.

Only thing is, sometimes, depending upon how the course is set up, I can't get close and straight on, or sometimes I can't even get very close.

I can't justify or afford an L series Canon. I was thinking that a prime telephoto might be good, it would be great but not for $4,000+

For now, I'll do what I can with my 85mm f 1.8. Every trial I go to, I'm learning more, so it should be fine. :-)

Joe

Attached Images

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:41 AM   #2

Man, those are tough conditions. ISO 3200, f1.8 and 1/90. And longer distances.

Is flash allowed? If so, I would recommend that approach (although you'd' have to deal with animial version of red-eye).

There's just way too much blur in this photo unfortunately. Looks like you were panning with the dog - with unpredictable speed of the dog it will be very difficult to match the dog's speed with the panning motion. Not to mention there's a vertical component to the motion. At 1/90 with unpredictable motion it's going to be difficult to impossible to get many keepers.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:02 AM   #3

Flash is verboten. Some handlers don't even like the dogs hearing the "click" of the shutter, since it sounds like the click they give their dogs when training them.

I know there's too much blur, but it's acceptable to the dogs owners. It's pretty rare that someone takes pictures of their dogs, let alone decent pictures.

Joe

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Man, those are tough conditions. ISO 3200, f1.8 and 1/90. And longer distances.

Is flash allowed? If so, I would recommend that approach (although you'd' have to deal with animial version of red-eye).

There's just way too much blur in this photo unfortunately. Looks like you were panning with the dog - with unpredictable speed of the dog it will be very difficult to match the dog's speed with the panning motion. Not to mention there's a vertical component to the motion. At 1/90 with unpredictable motion it's going to be difficult to impossible to get many keepers.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:25 PM   #4

Luckily, that arena is the darkest one I have to shoot in. Unfortunately there are several trials held in the arena.

The arena in Kalispell that we had a trail in back in May was much lighter, but that was when I still had my XTi and the only lens I had was my Sigma 18-200 f 3.5-5.6

I didn't get *any* decent pictures from that weekend. I did the best I could with what I had, which was to shoot at 18mm ( to get the widest aperture I could get) However, the dogs were all too far away. If I cropped in order to get them in the frame, it was so noisy as to be unusable.

There's not a lot in Kalispell, but there is one good camera store. I'm going to ask them about the possibility of renting a fast telephoto next time a trial is held in Corvallis (the dark arena)

Joe
Kalispell, MT