Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:38 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

As I look back over the past year I notice there has been a steady decline in the number of posts not only of new topics but also the number of replies to them.

I would love to see things happening like they used to with photos and ideas being shared. A forum is only as good as it's members, this means you (and me) so lets see what we can do to bring it back to life and encourage new members to post. At the moment we don't get the new posters as there is not a lot to grab their attention.

I can't say much as I'm pretty busy so not been shooting any sports, I have another wedding on Saturday but that doesn't count LOL.

So there is my challenge, are you up for it???

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:17 PM   #2

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:51 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Tom,

You are right that certain sports can only be shot with high end lenses but it's surprising how well you can still do in good light with 70-300mm lenses if budget doesn't permit.

It is one of the areas that looks and should be easy but it nothing of the sort. Even if you are not shooting, don't be a stranger and please post feedback, thoughts etc.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:29 PM   #4

Hi Mark!, I have to admit to being guilty of "postal apathy", however , I do agree with Tom & yourselfin that there is a distinct lack of interest in peoples postings. Maybe it's just that, (like myself), people find it hard to critique certain shots without sounding "holier than thou"?.

I like to think that i'm pretty adept at some sports which i could pass on knowledge about!, but at the same time, asthe site is mainly US based i don't feel worthy of saying whatI think about a shot in say Baseball/Basketball etc. & so possibly whenI post Football/ Rugby pics it's the same in reverse & we end up with a catch 22 situation?.

I for one will try and post a lot more now the winter sports season is upon us but to be honest i don't think peoples input will increase as my bread & butter stuff is too "local" for the US market!. Kind regards Graham.

p.sAnd asyou are aware (critique on wedding pics)oops,i'm also not renown for my diplomacy as i like to tell it as it is.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:36 PM   #5

Hi Mark,

I have to agree with you regarding kit. I have a D70 and Sigma 70-300 (Ebay special for £55). I am not a professional (like a lot on here), but do enjoy taking pictures, and trying to improve. I would love to spend 'zillions' and get the best kit, but as it's not my profession, can't always justify the expense.

I regularly check out other users pictures to see what they have taken, and use this to help improve my 'successes'. Also having played a few of the sports, then I find it interesting to view it from the photographers angle and not the players!

I find the advice offered helpful and informative, but lack the confidence in my knowledge and abilities to offer feedback at this moment in time - not an excuse I know, but being honest.

Regards

Steve
swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:25 PM   #6

hi mark! i have been quite busy, airbrushing, and back at work shooting school day photos. i haven't really been shooting much sports, i want to though becuase i love it! but with work, and helping coach my kids futbol team, its been quite a bit, also now we have another hurricane threatening new orleans so that kind of puts a damper on things! but i'll keep in touch!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:49 PM   #7

Hi Mark,

Guilty as charged! Right now I am between sports in this neck of the woods. Absolutely nothing going on until the second week of September for sports. Next weekend I will be doing a 3 day air show shoot and I promise to post some of them. Once soccer gets under way I will be posting. I know I don't respond enough with comments but a lot of time some one else has made the same point I would (great minds think alike).

Phil

p.s. Airbrushjohn, We are thinking of you. Hopefully Gustav will miss. Stay Safe!!!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:40 PM   #8

hi k1, thanks! we are just going to go to dallas and stay with some friends. we lived there for a year after katrina. we made some awesome friends! so i will get around and shoot some sports that aren't around this area! actually i can't wait! and again, thanks!
john
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:17 PM   #9

hey everyone, i'm in dallas for now the government is letting people back to their homes. but there are many areas still with out electricity. i'm going to go back home on sunday, so i don't have to fight all that mad traffic! i'm painting my frinds motorcycle so i,ve been busy, hopefully i can shoot something before i head home!
best regards, john
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:10 PM   #10
Super Moderator

That's good news John, hope all is good when you get back there.

Thanks all for your posts on this. It looks like posting is going well so lets keep it up and encourage each other...... soon will be the main seasons in full swing so hoping to see lots more.