Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:51 PM   #1

Man, for whatever reason tonight was not my night. Flash wasn't recycling well - I always seemed to be out of position, not any decent shots. And then came the last 4 minutes of the game. Here are 6 shots.2 werefrom the first 44 minutes of the game. The other4 were from the last 4. Including what should have been the game winning touchdown with 1:30 left. Accept the other team marched down and scored (with a catch in the opposite corner of the endzone from where I shot - guess it was too much to ask to get both touchdowns). As always C&C welcome:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:46 AM   #2

Good shots John!, #6 is a killer,& in #5 the facial expressionson the spectators facesadd to the tension. Very nice. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:27 AM   #3

Hi John!

Wow great photos. I'm glad you stayed the FULL match! Even though this is one of my least favourite sports (just a personal thing and of course not related to your photography... it's too much padding / helmet and stop/start for me)... still you've got some killer photos here.

Timing on all of them is good... very good, especially photos 1, 5 and 6.

I can see what you mean that you state "never leave early". I'm sure you were glad too!

Photo 1 is wonderful to me, because the tackling guy (I guess it's a guy - they don't have mixed guy/girl in gridiron do they?) seems smaller than the guy holding the ball. Yet you can imagine the tackle is effective.

photo 2 - my least fav from this set - but still a good one!!! :-)

Photo 3 - love the sense of urgency in this. My only comment is the white on the grass catched my eye too much.

4 - shame the ball was cropped - but shows the flow of the game - "point of the throw".

5 - wonderful timing! And I agree - the expression of the crowd / onlookers adds to it. You must have a powerful flash - they are light up too (though shadows are a tad distracting)

6. superb timing here - and again a great tackling capture. (pity the foot was chopped off - only small c&c).

One day I hope to be able to more team fields sports shots like this!!

Well done. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on a great series!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4

Thanks Paul. I agree about the shadows in the one pic - I hate them and they are distracting. It's interesting on #4 how we each see something different. To you it's about the start of the throw. To me it's the anticipation of the hit. You look at the photo and are drawn to the QB. I look and I'm drawn to the defender. Of course I played Linebacker so I know how I loved to get that shot on the QB :-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I agree about the equipment too. I really wish your style of football was played more here - or even rugby. There's some but not much here. I love football because it's a contact sport and there is a lot of action. Just not the same impact in soccer (at least not at HS level). But your point about equipment is exactly why I think it's so critical to get faces exposed right for this sport (same for lax).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on the various shots. It really helps me out!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:35 AM   #5

Good shots there, John.
1) Perfect timing by you again! I can hear the "OOF" from getting hit in the stomach.
2) Not so good. Ball blur and the light on the wall behind his head.
3) Although you didn't get all of 11's face it works quite well. "I'm sneaking up on you and I'm taking you down!"
4) Too bad the ball is cropped but it's all about the look on 56's face. It's either "Dang. Arm's back. Too late to hit him." or "Don't even think of throwing it now."
5) There you go again with the perfect timing! A TD catch in the end zone! Bummer about the shadows on that wall though.
6) Great all around. Dark bg, runner in the air, defender contorted. Even got some blades of grass in the mix.

btw How far below your lens is the flash head?

edit: for pj: As much as I enjoy watching and shooting American football I love this quote: "Football is a mistake. It combines the two worst elements of American life. Violence and committee meetings." -- George Will
PhotoCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on each shot Photocarp. It is very much appreciated.

The flash was about 2 feet below the camera.