Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1

I'm having problems getting what I would consider "sharp" pictures when using my D30 with a rented 70-200 2.8 in soccer games. I'm using center focus point with servo focus and using the half press shutter to lock focus. These three pictures are typical of what I'm seeing. From these pictures I can't tell what the focus point really is. Any advice?

Attached Images

ldreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:36 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:00 AM   #4

OK,

I took a look at these. Assuming these are uncropped, your focus point is squarly on the blue jersey - not a great area of contrast. Ideally you want to focus on the face to ensure it's sharp - and with presence of shadows and hair that often offers good contrast. But you don't want to use an area all one color like these blue jerseys.

Also the first couple photos are pushing the envelope on distance - shot1 is probably too far away.

Also - switch to portrait orientation. And make sure you're filling 2/3 of the frame with your subject. Doing that AND getting that focus point on an area of contrast should help your focus issues.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:55 PM   #5

John, Thank you for looking.

Since I'm new at this I'm under the assumption that I'm doing something wrong but I'm starting to wonder if there is a possibility of either a lens or body issue. I have examples of the team wearing their home jerseys when are red / white checks (like the side of their blue ones) and those don't look much better. I would think that would be an ideal focus spot. I can't upload one now, I'm at work bur I'll try to follow up later.

I'm still working up the "courage" to shoot in portrait mode. I have a hard enough time following the action in landscape:?. I did use portrait at a VB game and I appreciated the suggeston.

Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:24 AM   #6

I found the best looking shot I have. I was taken with the 70 - 200 with 1.4 TC. The subject is close and the jersey is about as high of contrast as they come. The lens was stopped down just a bit because I heard the TC / lens combo wide open wasn't sharp. Based on these idea conditions, is representative of the best sharpness I can expect?
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:26 AM   #7

Again I'll suggest your subject is filling too small an area of the frame. That more than anything else is your problem. If you must shoot landscape make sure your subject fills 90% of the vertical frame.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote