Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:01 AM   #1

Back home in the "Black Hole", the lighting is a lot better this season but still not perfect.

1) Reggie "action" Jackson, small and quick

2) Player /coach Fab Flournoy, steal and dunk

3) Trey Moore, one of the best in the BBL

I have cropped and run them thru Neat image, noise reduction(adjusted a bit this time!)

C&C welcomed

Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

1 and 3 are lovely and sharp but I would never have included 2 as it is far to far out of focus, that would instantly hit the cutting floor no questions.

1 makes a nice sportrait and 3 has some good action, also the 1/400s is already showing much less motion blur than at 1/320s last week.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:59 AM   #3

Cheers Mark, I know what you mean about #2, shouldn't have posted it but a dunk allways looks good(better in focus!!)

The club have printed up some posters of my shots,410x295 mm to sell at the club shop.

six out of the 13 players so far.
Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 5:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet, hope they go well and bring some money in!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:12 AM   #5

I agree with Mark's points. Much better than the last group.

Having said that:

Frisky wrote:
Quote:
Cheers Mark, I know what you mean about #2, shouldn't have posted it but a dunk allways looks good(better in focus!!)
No, it doesn't always look good. That's one of the fundamental differences between the ameteur and semi-pro is shots like #2 never see the light of day. The difference between the semi-pro and pro is that shot is in focus. It's time to start throwing the OOF shots in the trash bin.They will turn off some customers and for other organizations/editors that might view your work, having OOF shots is an instant indicator you're not ready yet. If it means taking more photos to get the number of keepers you want that's what you do. But right now you're doing yourself AND your customer a disservice by delivering a photo like that.

By the way, #3 might be your best shot to date. Nice expression. Only downside is the foot partially cut off - not too bad for web posting but in a print you'll lose more of the image to the bleed-off.

Keep at it!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote