Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:35 PM   #1

Our high school football team will be playing on an indoor field on turf. What

settings should is set my camera to get some decent pictures? I have a Canon

XTI, 70-200 2.8 lens. Also the 70-300 lens.
lakeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2

I would push the ISO (sensitivity) right up to 1600.

Then I would shoot shutter priority at 1/250th and let the camera
pick the aperture.

If 1/250th doesn't freeze the action well enough, try 1/500th.

If you can shoot in RAW format, do so. If you shoot in RAW format and some of your photos turn out a little dark, you can use software to push them brighter without losing detail.

Hope this helps!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3

Use the 70-200 f/2.8 lens. ISO 1600, Av mode with the aperture wide open f/2.8. Take some test shots to see what kind of shutter speeds you are getting. Hopefully you will have enough light to get at least 1/250s. Things to consider (in no particular order):

1. Depending on your metering selection for exposure, things like jersey color will have a big impact. Make sure you are getting faces exposed properly. Under/Over-exposed jerseys are not a big deal if you can see faces.. Use Av mode as a guideline, then switch to manual to suit your needs. This will likely take some experimentation to get right..

2. Frame tight. Using ISO 1600, you won't be able to crop much, so you'll need to really pick your spots.

3. With the 70-200mm lens at ISO 1600, framing tight, you will only be able to cover at most 1/4 of the field, so don't waste your time trying to shoot a runner or receiver all the way across the field. Wait for the action to come to you and be ready to capture it..

4. Set your autofocus to center point.

Good luck and be sure to post your results...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:44 AM   #4

some good advice from jschoenr. I want to emphasize 2 points:

1. Get your exposure correct in-camera. Pushing the exposure in RAW produces poor quality. The trick to successful high ISO shots is having a correctly exposed shot. Best way to do that is to shoot manual exposure. Try ISO 1600, f2.8 and 1/250 (really too slow for quality shots but you're limited with only ISO 1600 available). Take some test shots of the players and look at the playback. Adjust the shutter speed up/down as necessary.

2. Frame tightly. Shoot portrait orientation and fill at least 3/4 of the vertical frame with the image. That won't give you a whole lot of coverage.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote