Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:44 AM   #1

My wife won tickets to a T-Birds roller deby game and I took my camera. There couldn't have been more than 50 people in the stands, so I had full run of the whole place. Had loads of fun shooting, just wished I had a better lens than the 50mm 1.8 lens.Just after I started shooting it dawned on me that I really didn't know what I was doing. :?

Attached Images

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:39 AM   #2

Welcome to the sports forum!

I might suggest next time shooting in portrait orientation. That way you don't cut off the feet and you don't end up with all the dead space to the left/right of the frame.

On another note - it kills me that sport is making a 'comeback' - I think yours is the second rollerderby post I've seen in the last few months. :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:13 PM   #3

John,

I agree that shooting in portrait orientation would have been better and I did start shooting that way later in the evening. Tried using the flash (Canon 580 EX II) to freeze the actionbut it didn't seem to help.The flash nothelping could have had something to do with the batteries being dead and my not noticingthe flashwasn't firing. Does explain why the players said the the flash didn't bother them while skating. I may go back again next month to try again but only after rereading the sports posts here on Steve's and charging both sets of my batteries too.

After reading some of the other posts here on making sure you have correct exposure in camera in order to reduce noise, leaves me with a question. If the camera metering can be fooled by the surrounding area around the subject, how do you get a correct meter reading? I ended up pushing my RAW shots one stop in PP and as you stated John it did add noise.

As the Roller Derby making a come back? I was joking as we were waiting for the players to come out that I hoped they weren't the same players I use to watch back in the sixties. I'm not sure but I think they were the same players.:G

Thanks for the comments,

Craig

Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:31 PM   #4

Wow.

You could get some pretty seriously unique photos with that sport!

Keep up the good work!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:27 PM   #5

i wish we had that here in new orleans
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6

airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
i wish we had that here in new orleans
Know what you mean, could have use that in Lake Charles, LA too. My kids would have had a ball watching that when they were younger, not a lot to in Lake Chuck on a Saturday night.:G