Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:00 AM   #1

THoughtsomeone might be interested in my first shots with the 50D. Other than resize, no post-processing in this photo. 50mm F1.4 lens, ISO 1600, F2.5, 1/640, AV, noise reduction in camera set at 1 (low). Gyn lighting can be a pain, but I thought the 50D performed fine. Bob

Ps: #10is my granddaughter.

Attached Images

rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:32 AM   #2

Bob,

Glad you're enjoying the new gear. A 50mm lens is going to be very challenging. One of the objects of sports photography is to fill the frame with your subject. As you can see, that's difficult to do with 50mm. Furthermore if you crop the image down so your subject fills you'll find the picture isn't very sharp. It's one of the things that makes sports shooting so difficult and frustrating.

The useful range for a 50mm lens for sports is about 10-12 feet. So my suggestion is to get right up by the net (behind the judge). This is the closest point to the action. But, it's necessary if you want good shots. With these short primes, you really need your subject filing the frame. And, on kills/blocks you're not going to get full body shots on a crop camera. But, with a gym lit as well as that one is, I'd suggest saving up for a 70-200 2.8 for next season. It's a great lens for volleyball when you have enough light to use it. Looks like in that gym you do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks much for your reply and suggestions. I just got the 50D earlier this week, and I had the 50mm from a previous Canon outfit. The 50D came with the slower kit lens, the 28-135mm which I didn't bother trying at the game. As you know, gym lighting can vary considerably, and I have grandkids in volleyball, basketball and gymnastics(usually dim lighting). I was wondering if the 100mm F2 or the 135 F2L might be good choices since Ihave considerable freedom of movement around the gyms. I have Noise Ninja with Elements 6, and I've seen some great results with ninja, but I'm still struggling a little with it.Bob
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:35 PM   #4

rornberg wrote:
Quote:
I have grandkids in volleyball, basketball and gymnastics(usually dim lighting). I was wondering if the 100mm F2 or the 135 F2L might be good choices since Ihave considerable freedom of movement around the gyms.
Bob,

Here's the tough thing about these shore prime lenses for sports. They don't have a very wide range. They're all really portrait lenses only designed for accurate focus for a very short distance. The other problem is the 1.6 crop factor means they are very tight.

For example, in basketball the majority of shots are taken from the baseline. On a 1.6 crop camera, the 85mm 1.8 is pretty tight. 100mm and 135mm are too long for action along the baseline except if you're shooting from the corner out to the other side of the arc. The 50mm on the other hand is great for under the net but with that roughly 12 foot limit you don't get much reach at all. The 85 is probably a more useful lens for basketball.

For volleyball a lot of the same thing. You can see for the type of shot you tried the 50mm is way too short - the 100 or 135 would be better for 'thru-the-net' shots. But for 'same side' shots (where you're behind the net judge) 100 and 135 are just too long. The 85 is even tight on a 1.6 crop body. Shooting from catwalks is popular but even 135 is too short (200mm works well). 135 is a good lens from the stands or from behind the court through the net.

All in all I would say the 100mm would be the least useful lens - it's too tight on a 1.6 but yet not long enough for a lot of the volleyball or gymnastics shots.

I would say the 85mm 1.8 is the most useful for volleyball and basketball. For gymnastics, the 135 would be great.

Can't really help you with noise ninja - I use noiseware pro. The key is to remove JUST ENOUGH noise without removing too much detail. As long as you get the exposure correct in camera (and correct for faces not uniforms) noise really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Good luck.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:16 PM   #5

Thanks, again...you've been very helpful. Bob