Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:34 AM   #1

Cardinal Gibbons vs. West Henderson - both teams were undefeated coming into the finals. It was a great 5 set match. I was relegated to the balcony, but very much enjoyed the good light. Shot with Canon 50D, 70-200mm f/2.8 (at f/2.8 ) 1/800-1/1000 ISO 2000. No noise reduction done, just crop/straighten and sharpen. Being on the balcony was nice for some different perspective shots.. C&C welcome...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:13 AM   #2

4 & 5 are really nice shots.

shot 1 is tough because of timing (i.e. it looks like ball might be in net) and lack of faces.

shot 2 has no ball and the photographer is very distracting to the shot (not much you could do about that just one of those things that happens)

shot 3 focus is a bit off.

But 4 and 5 are really very good!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Have to agree with JohnG about 4&5, great timing and exposure.

I seem to remember playing with a round ball, maybe that's why we weren't very good!
swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:17 AM   #4

Thanks very much for the comments...

I have to remember to look at the backgrounds - something I really don't think too much about when I'm shooting..

Any tips on getting hitters in action - I feel like I've got serve, serve receive and blocking pretty well, but with hitters, there are so many things going on..

1. From the floor, you've usually got 2-3 other players in the way
2. From above or end line you've got the net in the way
3. Usually they are extended, so it's impossible to get tight on the face and get the ball..

Here is one that just missed..

What about getting digs? Do you typically follow a specific player for a series of plays and hope they do something interesting? Following the ball tends to get lots of OOF shots...

Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
Any tips on getting hitters in action - I feel like I've got serve, serve receive and blocking pretty well, but with hitters, there are so many things going on..

1. From the floor, you've usually got 2-3 other players in the way
2. From above or end line you've got the net in the way
3. Usually they are extended, so it's impossible to get tight on the face and get the ball..
Actually - from the floor the other players aren't really a factor because the hitter is jumping. If you're shooting down the net and get the center focus point on the face you should have enough frame to get the hand/ball in - you just have to get focus when they jump. I don't shoot thru the net a whole lot. I just don't like the net in the way of my faces - not to mention the net can mess up your focus.

Here's a shot from the floor:

and one from above (note the higher angle I'm at vs. your shot makes the net less of a factor):

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:08 PM   #6

Thanks a bunch John. Good advice as always...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:29 PM   #7

REALLY like 2 and 4. 2 is amazing. I don't care that there's no ball, i don't care that there's a photographer there. Her expression and concentration is amazing. I didn't even notice the photog till she was mentioned.

Great shots!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote