Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:28 AM   #1

Got a chance to cover the end season "bell" game between El Camino High vs South City High here in South San Francisco.

Here are some "unprocessed" images for sharing (only watermarks).

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks for viewing.

The smallest among the players of El Camino Colts.
jmdesign-digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:46 AM   #2

Some potential here.

First suggestion - process the images. 99% of all sports images can be improved by processing - these are no different.

Second - are you using a TC? If so, I would suggest getting rid of it. Otherwise, what lens were you using? There's a real loss of detail here. You've caught some great action but the loss of detail is really hurting the quality.

Love the last shot - really, really great capture there!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Some potential here.

First suggestion - process the images. 99% of all sports images can be improved by processing - these are no different.

Second - are you using a TC? If so, I would suggest getting rid of it. Otherwise, what lens were you using? There's a real loss of detail here. You've caught some great action but the loss of detail is really hurting the quality.

Love the last shot - really, really great capture there!
Thanks JohnG for the suggestions.

I am using a 2x DG AFTC for some reach. The lens that I used is a Tokina ATX Pro 80-200 2.8 lens on my D300.

I'm considering a lens that will give me more reach. Will the SIGMA 150-500 OS be a great candidate or a prime 300 f4 lens?

Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

jmdesign-digital wrote:
Quote:
I am using a 2x DG AFTC for some reach. The lens that I used is a Tokina ATX Pro 80-200 2.8 lens on my D300.

I'm considering a lens that will give me more reach. Will the SIGMA 150-500 OS be a great candidate or a prime 300 f4 lens?
That 2x TC is what is really hurting you here as John says. As for your 2nd part, there is no comparison between the Sigma and the Nikon 300mm f4, from everything I've read the prime gives stunning results, that includes being used with a 1.4x TC. Another option worth looking at if you would like the flexibility of a zoom is the Sigma 100-300mm f4, again stunning results and still great even with a 1.4x TC.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5

For the time being I strongly suggest ditching the TC - it's ruining your shots. Then just be patient. Better to get 50 good shots than 200 bad ones.

Even then - I don't think I've seen another sports shooter using the lens you're using so I can't say how well it performs. I've never heard Tokina mentioned as having AF speed to stack up to the AF-S drive in Nikon or HSM sigma drive though. So I'm guessing the lens is still going to be a weak link. But optical quality should definitely improve without the TC.

I'm not a Nikon guy, so can't give you a lot of suggestions below the obvious big guns (400 2.8, 300 2.8 200-400). I'm not sure what alternatives there are. I haven't seen much body of work out of the new Sigma lenses so can't recommend them yet.

Both Mark and I shoot with the sigma 120-300 2.8 and I can recommend that. I've also seen stunning work out of the sigma 100-300 f4 (sharper than the 120-300 2.8 but at f4 not good enough for night games).

But now you're running into the quandry of sports shooting. Having a great camera body is only part of the equation. The lens is critical too - as is your own skill.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:47 AM   #6

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
For the time being I strongly suggest ditching the TC - it's ruining your shots. Then just be patient. Better to get 50 good shots than 200 bad ones.

Even then - I don't think I've seen another sports shooter using the lens you're using so I can't say how well it performs. I've never heard Tokina mentioned as having AF speed to stack up to the AF-S drive in Nikon or HSM sigma drive though. So I'm guessing the lens is still going to be a weak link. But optical quality should definitely improve without the TC.

I'm not a Nikon guy, so can't give you a lot of suggestions below the obvious big guns (400 2.8, 300 2.8 200-400). I'm not sure what alternatives there are. I haven't seen much body of work out of the new Sigma lenses so can't recommend them yet.

Both Mark and I shoot with the sigma 120-300 2.8 and I can recommend that. I've also seen stunning work out of the sigma 100-300 f4 (sharper than the 120-300 2.8 but at f4 not good enough for night games).

But now you're running into the quandry of sports shooting. Having a great camera body is only part of the equation. The lens is critical too - as is your own skill.

Thanks JohnG for the tips. I will try to shoot this fridays basketball game of the mini league in Milbrea using the lens itself w/o the TC.

Thanks again.

Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:41 PM   #7

The amount of CA (Chromatic Aberration) I see in these shots are really distracting.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote