Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:46 PM   #1

Can I get some constructive criticism on a few of my favorite action shots please.
I am brand new to the dslr and really only have a few years of high school 35mm photography class under my belt. So pretty much I'm brand new to this game.

With that being said... I bought a D80 a few days ago and on my second day with the camera I hit the local skate park for a few hours. I shot about 400 pictures and kept about 6. Hows that for a trash ratio. Man I love digital... it almost feels like cheating.

So if you don't mind taking a look at a few of my pictures and giving me some feedback. Thanks a bunch guys. Ryan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32510192@N04/

syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:28 PM   #2

You did a nice job.

I like how you work in alternate framings, use of shadows, fences and angles.

The more practice you get, the more "keepers" you'll have.

Nothing wrong with taking lots of photos though - not like it's costing you anything!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:37 PM   #3

Thank you much... I appreciate the input.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:38 AM   #4

The first one would be better if the boy in the background were on the right side of the picture to balance it out. Or you could take him out completely. I like the "pose" of the boy in the foreground and I like the way only a little of his face is showing. The second one is OK but it doesn't have the same appeal as the first or the last. The last is interesting because of the position of the bike and boy as well as the shadow of the fence.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the critique....

I really like the shadow in the last picture also... and at the time Iwas really worried I might have ruined that whole angle because the shadow of my head was in just about all of the pictures.

As far as the first picture... I would rather the kid in yellow be gone but oh well.

One thing I learned with shooting this type of action.... I did not pose one single of the 400 that I took that afternoon. I really did not even talk to any of those guys.... they knew I was taking pictures of them but not a single photo was pre planned. I just walked around that park for hours just taking pictures. Never really had a chance to set anything up and plan it out... mainly because the guys were riding and skating all around me. If I saw what I though would be a good trick to my right I just turned and started shooting.

It was mainly the hope and pray, make it up in volume style of shooting

Now that I have some advice from you guys and others I will head back on Saturday and plan it out a bit more.

Thanks again guys.... I really do like this style of photography.

PS, I'm just using my kit Nikkor VR 18-55mm. Is there a different lens that might make a difference? Something I can look forward to down the road.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:40 PM   #6

Wide lenses are good for that style. My only suggestion is talk to the guys - you want to get closer to the action - but still shoot wide. Works much better than telephoto. A 2.8 lens would give better AF performance and, of course, have better characteristics at widest angle (less distortion).

The question you have to ask yourself though is this - does the background add to the photo or distract? That's going to determine whether you shoot wide or tight. FOr instance, to me the background in shot 2 distracts. It's a fence. Nothing interesting about that - the mountains are too far and the background is dominated by the fence. Not the case in shot 3. Sky can be a cool backdrop as can the park - but here's where being closer would make a better shot because of the different perspective - it will accentuate the height and really make the biker pop from the background but the wide shot still lets some of that background in.

Just keep trying different things - but definitely try getting closer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:40 PM   #7

Ok great info... thanks.

I will definitely try to get closer... in fact I will start talking with them some more. I did notice as the day progressed and I realized I was not going to get run over and they realized I was not going to do something stupid like jumping in their way I was able to get a bit closer. This was the first time I had ever been at a skate park and my first day with the d80 so it was a very new experience.

It was funny thought.... some of the younger kids kept asking me what magazine I was taking pictures for or if I was trying to get some rider sponsored. I tried to explain to them that I was just out practicing just like they were. Some kids ride bikes and skateboards, some guys take pictures. They thought that was pretty neat.

So it sounds like a fast wide lens would be helpful? Would a 28mm 2.8 work? Or maybe try for 18mm?

I'm still real new to slr's so I may be using the terminology incorrectly. I have to goggle half the things you guys talk about just to try tofigure it out.

Thanks again for the help./ Ryan