Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:04 PM   #1

The basketball season has started with the local small college in action. This is not one of the bet lit gyms in the area but at least the have made the lighting uniform. Last year there were three different types of lights in the ceiling. The gym still has dark spots but oh well.... Taken with a Canon 30D and a Canon 50mm f1.8. my Sigma 28-70 f2.8 is broken and on the way to repair. ISO 3200 and should have shot at 1600. Shutter speed around 1/400. Post processing with Photoshop CS2 (for USM users sharpening was 70% and .7 radius) and Noiseware Pro (weaker noise). As always C&C welcome.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2

overall nice action. First 4 are underexposed though - exposure got better iin last two. Also looks like your white balance is all over the place.Exposure is a bit tricky when WB is off. I see from the EXIF you're using auto-WB. I would strongy suggest setting a custom white balance. And for that manner using manual exposure - lighting should be constant inside the arc.

I would also lighte up a bit on the noise reduction. While the better exposure on the last 2 makes them look better it's also more evident a bit too much noise reduction was used resulting in a more plastic look.

You've got some nice action here you just need to make some technical corrections which are easy enough to do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote