Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:44 PM   #1

I am having trouble with these and this is the reason I bought the camera (canon xsi). I can use alot of advice. I changed every setting I could. For the prop planes I was shooting around 1/350 as my shutter speed, for the jets i was using 1/1000. Exposure thingie was set to +1-+1 1/3 for both planes. I didn't really set my white balance justput it on sun setting and i was shooting into the sun at 250mm. By the way this isview from my backyard lol

Attached Images

all_natural25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:45 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:45 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:46 PM   #4

The prop planes where a little harder because I didn't have enough zoom and I dont have the software to crop and editright
Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:50 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:51 PM   #6

The shutter speed was to fast on this one and the one above it
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7

First the easy one: props. 1/320 is too fast - try 1/160.

Prop planes are best shot in shutter priority mode - dialing in that 1/160 shutter speed. The biggest issue with all 3 prop shots are the plane fills up too little of the frame. It illustrates what a huge difference there is shooting the types of planes in these images. And, the reality of it is - you can't crop down and retain quality. So, the plane either needs to be closer or you need a longer lens.

For the jet photos, what is it you are not happy with? For me the subject isn't very interesting - as a sports photographer there's just nothing interesting to me about an ordinary jet. But I know you're passionate about it and that's cool. So, what about the jet photos do you want to improve?

The exposure on the jets actually looks pretty good. The dynamic range of the image is too great to have both the top and underside exposed properly and the top looks good. The way to deal with bringing out some of the details in the underside is to do it in post-processing. Personally I would use a dodge tool. But if your software allows for layers you could create a second layer and change the levels of it so the underside was exposed properly, then paint just the underside in. If none of this is making sense then that's a whole other discussion - post processing techniques.

Otherwise, what is it about the jets that you want to do better?

Short of a longer lens there's really nothing much you can do about the prop planes (other than using the slower shutter speed).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:17 PM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
First the easy one: props. 1/320 is too fast - try 1/160.

Prop planes are best shot in shutter priority mode - dialing in that 1/160 shutter speed. The biggest issue with all 3 prop shots are the plane fills up too little of the frame. It illustrates what a huge difference there is shooting the types of planes in these images. And, the reality of it is - you can't crop down and retain quality. So, the plane either needs to be closer or you need a longer lens.
Quote:
Definitely know I need a bigger lens. i want the 100-400is but that is going to have to wait awhile. I will try 160 tomorrow.
Quote:

For the jet photos, what is it you are not happy with? For me the subject isn't very interesting - as a sports photographer there's just nothing interesting to me about an ordinary jet. But I know you're passionate about it and that's cool. So, what about the jet photos do you want to improve?
Quote:
Clarity. I can't seem to get the right settings for the better shot. Really starting to annoy me. To much noise. i know a better lens would do a better job but I think with my lens it should be good enough. I know those jets are boring. Those are practice planes. I am more interested in military aircraft. Old and the new. i heart the blue angels. One of the main reasons I got the camera was just for the airshows. Yes, I admit it I have issues
Quote:

The exposure on the jets actually looks pretty good. The dynamic range of the image is too great to have both the top and underside exposed properly and the top looks good. The way to deal with bringing out some of the details in the underside is to do it in post-processing. Personally I would use a dodge tool. But if your software allows for layers you could create a second layer and change the levels of it so the underside was exposed properly, then paint just the underside in. If none of this is making sense then that's a whole other discussion - post processing techniques.
Quote:
My computer crashed and my harddrive went . So I have to wait till after christmas to install any editing programs
Quote:

Short of a longer lens there's really nothing much you can do about the prop planes (other than using the slower shutter speed).
Quote:
i am letting my b/f go to vegas for the camera, wonder if I can find something else he wants to do HAHA. the lens I want is 1700 give or take
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:17 PM   #9

Here is one from today
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:50 PM   #10

Photoshop Elements has a command "Lighten Shadows" that I use for shots like this. When your computer grows a new hard disk drive, you can download a trial version from Adobe's website.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote