Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:56 PM   #11

John,

Were you using your 85mm 1.8 for these shots?
theultimateguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:02 AM   #12

no - 70-200 2.8. But if you're going to use a lens like that you should have a camera with good 3200-6400 performance. These were at ISO 3200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:19 AM   #13
Super Moderator

John, it is far too early to be replying to messages on Steve's or anywhere else for that matter!!!! LOL
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:29 PM   #14

85mm f/1.8 newbie........

I have taken about 3 games w/ the lens. pictures are sharp, freezes the action....BUT as a "rank rookie".. Ifind if VERY DIFFICULT to capture the action in the center of the picture frame.

The gyms I've been too are tootight nearthe baseline. I would suggest to 'rookies" that a 50MM f/1.8 might be more user friendly.

I'm shooting with a Canon XS. I'm getting a little more efficient with the "keepers". but I have a long way to go.

basicly, my thoughts are get more action w/ the 50mm and crop into the "look" you want.

any comments on my theory?

Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:42 PM   #15

Quote:
basicly, my thoughts are get more action w/ the 50mm and crop into the "look" you want.

any comments on my theory?
While it sounds good in theory, in practice it doesn't work well. 2 main reasons:

1. The 50mm 1.8 is a slow focusing lens - much slower than the 85.

2. These lenses aren't designed for critical focus from long distances. The 50mm has a range of about 15 feet. After that, focus accuracy, sharpness and detail start to go down hill rapidly. The 85 has a working range of about 25 feet.

I understand the frustration with how tight things are using the 85. That's where the 1.6 crop factor really is a disadvantage. The sad truth is, it makes things tight but it doesn't "extend your reach" at all.

All, in all, my suggestion to people is to bite the bullet and deal with tight framing on the 85 - you'll get a lot more high quality shots with that lens than the 50mm 1.8. But, you have to use the 85 closer to the corner of the baseline - really right along the area where the arc hits the baseline.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:24 PM   #16

I agree. you can get some good fast break shots or dribbling to the basket. but very hard to get the hard fought rebounds!

I'm sure with time I'll get more efficient!

thanks for the comment. and I agree with your statment......it's frustrating, but when you get that ONE keeper. it makes you smile a little!...becasue it's really sharp and "frozen".
Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote