Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:41 PM   #1

Well, first night of basketball. After taking most of the Fall off from sports shooting I'm hoping to get out at least once a week in the Winter. We'll see how well that works out :G. As always, C&C welcome:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:06 AM   #2

Good shots as usual. I wish I had gyms lit like that to take photos in (out of about six I shoot at one has good lighting) My HS season starts Friday.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks. Yeah when I look at your last basketball post it looks like the gym is about 1/3 to 2/3 stops darker than this one (mine was 3200 1/400 f2.8 ). That's pretty much prime lens territory. If I was doing more regular shooting (rather than just a couple of games) I'd invest in strobes. While the mkIII has wonderful performance at 3200 - nothing beats the image quality of being able to stop down to f4 and get the good skin tones strobes provide. But it's just not a good investment. To be honest I was debating as I had $1200 left over from this past year's photography profits. But I decided to upgrade my home theater receiver and buy a blu-ray player instead :-)-much better ROI. Maybe next year on the strobes
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:39 PM   #4

You ain't lost anything over the closed season John:-). Lovely series with #1,4 & 10 being my pick of an excellent series Congrats!
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:01 PM   #5

Wow....what a great series!

#5 is my favorite. Drive and determination!

Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:32 AM   #6

John

Great set of images, which I can really relate to as both of my children play at weekends which I regularily shoot, but nowhere as sharp as you - help me !!

Iuse a Canon 30D with an EF 50mm F1.8 II lens. I always shoot in full manual mode to suite the lighting conditions in the venue and these settings typically are: ISO800, shutter speed of no less than 1/320 second an aperture of approx F2 and nearly always AWB. Never any flash.
These settings usually give me great exposure but I have found focusing a real problem. More than 50% of my images will be out of focus which has become very frustrating.
I select the middle AF point and shoot in AI Focus mode (but after recent advice will only use AI Servo mode) and shoot at continuous high speed shooting.
Please give me some guidance on sharpening up my images.
I recently borrowed an EF 85mm F1.2L II which gave me the same results.

I have ordered an 85mm F1.8 USM on others advice which I hope to get before Christmas.

Please share your shooting settings with me as your images are pin sharp.

First time user & poster so please be gentle. I will try to post some images, hopefully the below is correct.

Regards Neil

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_0984.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_0912.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_1110.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_4567.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_4573.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...5/IMG_4584.jpg

baller85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:42 AM   #7

Hi Neil. Don't get discouraged - sports shooting isn't as easy as it looks. It takes time. A few comments on your photos:

1. White balance in all is off. You should be setting a custom WB - that will be an immediate improvement.

2. At least one shot you had 1/200 shutter speeds. You should never be that slow - bump iso to 1600 (Iso 1600 f2 1/400 is pretty common settings)

3. A number of your shots are from too far away. The working distance for the 50mm is about 15 feet max. You've got shots from twice that distance. The 85mm is good to about 25 feet so keep that in mind - a couple of these shots would be too far away for that lens.

4. If these are un-cropped photos at least in some it appears your subject is not in the center so if you were using only center focus point it would be off your subject.

Switching to ai-servo should help you out. The 85mm is certainly a better lens for basketball but the 50 should be getting better results. I would also recommend posting here after the next game (start a new thread). For that post I will suggest you do NO editing on the photos - just re-sizing. That way members here can help diagnose what's going on without editing masking some underlying issues. We'll get you straitened out in no time.

Looking forward to seeing your next post!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:05 PM   #8

Hi John

I was told I would get good sound advice from this site and yourself and I sure have got it, many thanks.

Distance is really something that I have never considered before but now I will. I understandalso that I have beenlazy with the WB setting and I will experiment with the custom settings. Dont know what I was expecting at 1/200 with the shuttereither.

Thanks again for the sound advice, I have looked at a few other threads of yours in this section and it is by far the best advice I have read.

As soon as I have got the 85mm I will be out snapping and dont worry, you will get some unedited images for C&C posted as a new topic.

Thanks again, regards Neil
baller85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:26 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Speaking of distance, does they guy in #4 think he will get a shot from back there?

Oh btw, sweet shots John!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:20 AM   #10

Really, really nice shots John. I'd have to go with #7 as my favorite. Great facial expression and super-sharp...

Can you share your noise reduction and USM settings?
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote