Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:07 PM   #1

A shot of my son running an action pistol course.
Attached Images

shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:09 PM   #2

And a second shot of my son. Same match but a different stage.
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3

Definitely a challeng for the person running the course and probably a lot of fun to watch. From a photograph perspective though I unfortunately have to say there's not much interesting here. Not to diminish the activity which I know is challenging but these shots amount to the back of a person using a gun. Your shot back in August was a bit more interesting as you caught the shell being ejected. But there's nothing compelling here.

I just think it's a difficult subject to have a compelling image of. Obviously not possible to capture faces and thus the sense of concentration. And the action of the person moving through the course isn't particuarly interesting action (compared say to more standard sports). So, I struggle with any advice on how to make the shots more interesting. I'm guessing there's not a large body of professional work to review to get ideas.

Please don't get turned off by my comments - it's just an honest opinion. If you have an interest in action photography I might suggest a different sport - one where it's a bit easier to capture compelling images - but if your passion is photographing these types of events, don't let me deter you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4

Probably worth posing your son in a couple of action shots.

Then put them together in one image as a "composite".

That would be really cool!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:58 AM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Definitely a challeng for the person running the course and probably a lot of fun to watch. From a photograph perspective though I unfortunately have to say there's not much interesting here. Not to diminish the activity which I know is challenging but these shots amount to the back of a person using a gun. Your shot back in August was a bit more interesting as you caught the shell being ejected. But there's nothing compelling here.

I just think it's a difficult subject to have a compelling image of. Obviously not possible to capture faces and thus the sense of concentration. And the action of the person moving through the course isn't particuarly interesting action (compared say to more standard sports). So, I struggle with any advice on how to make the shots more interesting. I'm guessing there's not a large body of professional work to review to get ideas.

Please don't get turned off by my comments - it's just an honest opinion. If you have an interest in action photography I might suggest a different sport - one where it's a bit easier to capture compelling images - but if your passion is photographing these types of events, don't let me deter you.
No offense John, but your comments neither deter me or bother me. I've been a pro shooter for almost 30 years, so another photogs critique is all good.
I shoot this sport, both behind the camera and the gun, but if you have ever attended or watched any type of shooting sport, being at less than a 90* angle from the shooter is a dangerous spot to be in. With highly experienced shooters, such as in the August pic, I will position my self in the danger spot, but not with a rookie like my son.
Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:59 AM   #6

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
Probably worth posing your son in a couple of action shots.

Then put them together in one image as a "composite".

That would be really cool!
Thanks Terry. Great idea.....With an unloaded gun.:lol:
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:03 AM   #7

Absolutely, wearing some camo gear, etc.

Put some real people in there as a target.

That would be dramatic!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:04 AM   #8

Here is a danger close shot of an experienced shooter from a few weeks ago. Not something I would do with a rookie shooter.
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:07 AM   #9

Terry, camo is frowned upon in USPSA. We are not a bunch of rednecks running around in the woods.
Our club is mostly doctors, lawyers, LEO's. This an expensive sport and most of us do a fair bit of traveling to participate.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:11 AM   #10

Oh okay, sorry.

I probably need to learn more about the sport.