Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:00 PM   #1

Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:13 PM   #2

very nice!! i like these, great panning!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the comment appreciated !!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

A nice series of shots.

I'm impressed that they came out so well with using a mix of Av and Action mode. Usually for motorsports I would use with Tv or manual settings.

The reason that I would use Tv over Av is that you get to select the shutter speed to control the amount of motion blur you have. When using Av in this sort of environment you can have a huge difference in shutter speed so some will have a nice blur while others could be almost frozen.

For almost all other sorts of shooting I use Av or manual but this is an exception to that.

I'm not saying your method is wrong and the results certainly show you have a good panning technique but if you want consistency then using Tv will help a lot. When using Tv just keep an eye on the aperture that the camera is trying to set and adjust the ISO if too high or too low.

Looking forward to seeing more shots from you.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:33 PM   #5

Thanks Mark, alway's good to get good advise, cant wait for the Race season to start again in March, I am sponsoring a young Lady this Year in the 400cc super sport , class. and also involved with her dad who will be riding a 1098cc Ducati, so hopefully i will get some decent shot's of them in Action!! if i can get out of pitlane ??? This is Karl testing the new Ducati, love the sound of the big V twin !!

Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You've got to love the sound of a Ducati for sure :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come back if you can get out of the pits and get track side. You have a tidy panning technique from what I can see here so you should end up with some cracking shots.

The only thing to add is how much cropping have you done. Try to get to the stage that you are not cropping at all then you will have the best quality shot but it takes more practise to frame tight.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:29 PM   #7

Hi Mark, Will be trying to get a 70-200 f2.8 for the start of the season, i have the Sigms 13-400mm but find it a bit slow on cloudy day's which we get a lot of. Was thinking about the Sigma or Tamron, will look into them. Again thanks for the advise.

Regards Tom
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:16 PM   #8
Super Moderator

For sports shooting go Sigma as although not quite as sharp as the Tamron it is faster focusing which is important for sports. I used this lens for quite a long time before going to Canon L glass.