Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:53 PM   #1

I shot two middle school basketball games at my 'home' gym. Very dark and 'yellowish' place. I attempted to set WB using a white background, but don't think I got it right. All shots with 50D, ISO6400, 1/500th, f/2.8. I was positioned under the basket..

So, my questions are - do the colors look right to you? The walls in the gym are kind of that yellowish/creamy institutional color and give everything that kind of cast. I'm comparing mine to JohnG's recent post and I've obviously got a long ways to go - Any ideas on how I can improve? Also, I think these are a bit overexposed, but I did that on purpose to compensate for the ISO6400 - do they look acceptable to you?Is that what is causing the color to seem washed out?

1. First one with NR and second without

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:31 PM   #2

They're a bit too overexposed as you say - about 1/3 - 1/2 stop. That makes the skin tones too white looking. Which also makes judging white balance a bit difficult. For example, the color MIGHT be a bit too cool but it's difficult to say if that is the case or it's just the overexposure. I would also reduce your noise reduction a little. At 6400 it's a tough balancing act and kids tend to have smooth skin tones anyway (i.e. not a lot of musulature to show texture) but shots 2 & 3 have the 'china doll' look - very sharp but very smooth too.

Outside of that you've caught some nice action and have some sharp photos.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:12 PM   #3

Thanks John, I went back and looked at some other pics in this gym and I was definitely at least 2/3 over exposed on these.. Good thing they play alot of games..

So, if proper exposure in this environment is ISO3200, f/2.8 1/400, would you bump the ISO to 6400 to get the increased shutter speed?

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4

Nice captures, your timing the game well. IMO, the amount of noise youd get going to 6400 wouldnt make it worth that extra 1/100sec in shutter speed. With girls at this age, 1/400 sec is good most of the time. At 6400 youd have more noise and in turn more NR necessary, more detail loss, etc... Also, Id recommend NR after the fact instead of in-camera. It'll allow you more control. One last thing if i may...add a tocuh more contrast and the colors will pop a little bit more. As far as the WB, yellow gyms are killers! You may not be too far off, the unis look white...but as mentioned, the exposure needs to be right to be sure.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote