Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:53 AM   #1

.Hello all, I covered an American football game for the first time this weekend!:shock:. To you guys who shoot this all the time you have my total respect. I spent most of the first quater chasing shadows due to the slick dummying of the switched passes..

I started to get some of the quaterbacks calls & eventually had the right player with the ball.:lol:C&C defiantly wanted from my American cousins. Kind regards Graham.

PS sorry if there's a few too many shots but I had sucha blast!

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2

Graham,

Glad you decided to cover REAL football for a change :blah: Just yanking your chain. In actuality it was only difficult because you're not used to it. It really is a lot easier to shoot than your version of football. The reason being you can physically move with the action unlike soccer. Looks like tough lighting conditions - I hate shooting football in bright sunlight due to shadows in the helmet. On the plus side you didn't leave the faces in shadow so good job. But, they are a bit TOO bright as most of the faces are washed out. #7 & 11 are examples of where you had the faces about right. In many of the others the detail is a bit blown out. That's what really makes football tough. #5 is clearly my favorite - love to see hits and this one is sharp. I also think you've done a good job on your 'context' shots - showing just a bit of the surroundings to give the play context without it being distracting.

Here's an example of faces in similar lighting. The trick is just enough light in the helmet but still keeping skin tones (not great action in this shot but I chose it because it has faces in the sunlight):

Given the challenging lighting and your first time shooting the sport I think it's a great series. Now, do you find it a bit more boring than your version of football? A lot of European football fans find all the non-action (i.e. time between plays) frustrating.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:24 PM   #3

Hello John, thank you for the comments & helpful advice :-). I see where i've gone wrong in the faces compared with your example.

I have to confess to not moving with the play (will do with the next one) & rather just planted myself downnear the posts & shot which ever team was defending or attacking! per quarter.

As to comparing it with European football I have to confess to being a bit frustrated with the time lapses between plays, However, having said that in the 3rd quarter the team in blue (Huddersfield hawks) where3rd & inches & between the 2 teams they used 3 time outs with only32 seconds lefton the clock which was very exciting:lol:. (they didn't score). The intensity level though is much greater which leads to more photo opportunity's within the game, and so i'm definitely looking forward to another. The games are few & far between though in my area I think the next one is mid Feb, so may have to travel father afield for another one soon. Kind regards Graham.l
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Graham, great to see something different and perfect timing for me as one ofmy friends has asked me to shoot their team on Sunday so I'm hoping to give this a bash.

I'm sure it is going to be very interesting as I've not shot any sports since last June and never football of the American variety LOL.

So what are your top tips? Were you shooting with the 300 and a TC or just the 300?

John if you look at this do you shoot with a TC on the 120-300, I think this is my plan but any advice greatly received.

Nice work and hope you get to shoot some more of this alien game LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:44 PM   #5

Interesting timing. I just checked in. For whatever reason the results I've gotten using my 1.4 on the 120-300 with the mkIII have been bad. I got better results with the combo on the 20d. So I never use it.

There's less need for it with American Football than soccer though. You'll do fine without it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

That's strange, I've found the 1.4x has worked well with my setup so I will probably give it a try with and without but having f2.8 is probably best. I still want that 400mm f2.8
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:58 AM   #7

Hello Mark, Thanks for looking in:-). I shot most of these with just the 300 as I sat in 1 possition the whole game!(next time I might try following the play up the touchline). As for tips? spend a bit of the first quarter studying the way the teams play (there was very little wide receiver play in my game,which was a shame!). Look forward to seeing the pics. Kind regards Graham
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Sorry to say I won't be shooting now as the game has been cancelled due to not enough refs being available :sad::angry:

The main local teams season will start soon so I will try to get some of that but I expect that I will have less access to the field than with the team I was going to shoot but we shall see.