Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:11 PM   #1

In afternoon had extra light for the Pee Wee League (9-11 yr olds)

Then the evening started so it got a little darker for the little kids.

1) I like this picture but unfortunately the third guy was in better focus than the front two.

2) I like the action just not sharp enough.

3)

4) White balance is still an issue I am having.

5)

1) Used lower ISO as there was more light in afternoon.
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F2.2
Metering Modes Split metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Lens Canon prime 85mm
Focal Length 85.0 mm

2) With the Extra light I took off the Canon Prime and used a Sigma zoom for some photos but had to increase the ISO back to 1600
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F5.6
Exposure Compensation +1/3 (Not sure how to change this - Is this done by the camera?)
ISO Speed 1600
Lens Sigma 18-200mm -
Focal Length 72.0 mm

3) As evening approached I went back to the Canon 50mm prime first for Under Basket shots
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/250Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F2.2
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 1600
Lens Canon 50mm Prime
Focal Length 50.0 mm

4) Still under basket
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/250Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F2.2
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 1600
Lens Canon 50mm prime
Focal Length 50.0 mm

5) Mid-court with Canon 85mm prime getting shot of a friend's son (white #4)
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F1.8
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1600
Lens Canon 85mm
Focal Length 85.0 mm

I am really liking the Canon 85mm f/1.8. I know I have very very limited experience but I am really liking this lens in our small gym. With the 50mm I am finding it much more difficult to get the right stuff into focus at the larger aperture values.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:02 AM   #2

Ok, not too bad. The windows really make your life difficult though as they create hot spots. Shot 1 is a perfect example - the light is 'hot' on the offensive player but exposure is good on the defender just to his left. Also that defender is in decent focus where the offensive player is not. My advice is try not to shoot the action that crosses the 'hot spots' if you can.

Shot 2 - your assessment is right on. Nice action, but not sharp.

shot 3 - this looks like it was heavily cropped - resulting in loss of detail and greater noise. Also, it's a bit crooked - you want to make sure you fix your leveling in post processing.

shot 4 - nice action but underexposed. WB may be an issue but that's always tricky to guage when a shot is underexposed.

Shot 5 - not really much interesting going on. The most appealing aspect is the player in front but his eye level is way too low to attract attention. Much tighter framing is necessary to pull this shot off - even cutting off the crown of the other boy's head (not entire head but the crownn). In this manner your subject fills up more of the frame and draws the attention. But there's either motion blur or focus is off a bit so the subject isn't sharp enough to be able to crop down on the image any further.

Don't get discouraged though. Basketball is tough and you've only just started shooting it. It's a progression. Keep practicing and keep seeking feedback and you'll get better each outing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3

From the readings which you have provided and the looks of the gym, youve chosen difficultcircumstances, for sure. Being that youre a beginner and playing with a new lens, youve done some things well. ie...captured the action, good WB,tight shooting. Dont get discouraged, this is a tough sport and that gym makes things even more difficult. It took me a while to learn to shoot my 1.4. As a matter of fact, about a year after i stopped using it, I shot with it again and had a ton of OOF shots. Its difficult at those aperatures.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:04 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the feedback.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote