Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:58 AM   #1

Ok. Got my 85mm and was ready to go..... Then we were told that we were not allowed near the court and had to take pictures from the bleachers that were behind the player. Now I was out of focus range. Oh Well. Anyway, I tried a few pics and have some issues. When I take multiple pics in sequence the pictures seem like half are okay and the other half have an orange tint to them. I was not in bracketing mode, just standard. The Nikon takes 4.5 pics per second. All the pictures were taken at 2.0 1/500 @ 2000. I did try a custom WB but my new card has not arrived. I used the back of the Nikon manual under the lights and set up custom WB.

Also, I seem to have a green blur in most of my pictures, and am guessing I have a reflection somewhere. I use the hood that came with the 85mm and have a UV filter on the lens. Please advise.

All C & C are welcome.

Pic 1 = was cropped, sorry. I meant to send both of them in the original state.

[url=http://]

]

Green Blur

[url=http://]

theultimateguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:45 AM   #2

Welcome to the joys of indoor sports photography. Let me suggest one other thing regarding the custom WB. When you take the snapshot of the white object, set the camera in shutter priority with a shutter speed of 1/60. This will allow the lights to cycle during the shot which will give your camera an average color temperature. If you take the shot at a fast speed like 1/500 you're going to catch the lighting at a specific color temperature. What you'll typically see after this procedure is some slight variation in color cast but not a wild swing.

That should do the trick for you. But I will remind you - the lighting at the net could be quite different than the lighting at the bleachers so take your WB shot at the net.

If for some reason that does not work you will have to resort to RAW. But I think it will likely do the trick. Try it and see.

I have no earthly idea what that green object is in the last photo. I assume that's the blur you were referring to. I don't see it in the other two.

I would also remove the filter. It could be flare but in low light situations you need the best quality light coming into the lens - that filter will degrade the quality. The hood is more than enough protection in an indoor gym.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator

I see ghosting from flare in all 3 photos (look closely at the the jersey on player #2 and you'll see a small green ghost in the first photo, with a slightly larger one in the second photo).

This is probably being caused by your filter, due to internal reflections from the lighting. It's usually a bad idea to use one if you have brighter light sources in an image. Personally, I avoid the use of filters for lens protection and rely on a hood instead. Anytime you add an extra piece of glass, you introduce more potential for image problems due to reflections between optical elements. Of course, this is controversial and filter quality comes into the equation (some are better than others).

Here's an article on the subject by Mike Johnston. It includes some some examples of ghosting when using a filter:

The Filter Flare Factor

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the great info. I will start removing my UV filter when I take pictures, then put it back on for protection for storage. Also, I willuse the SP 1/60 on the WB card. That makes perfect since. Maybe next weekend I will be allowed to get in a better position to take some good pictures, for C&C.

Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:31 PM   #5
SDN

Okay, we are at the same VB games. I recognized the girls in your Jan 10th and 24th pics. Will you be shooting the upcoming tourney at MISENHEIMER?
SDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:31 PM   #6

We dropped down to silver and were in another area. But we moved back to gold. I think we will be in Western NC next week.