Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Horrible light in this gym. I shoot 5D with a 70-200 2.8 lens.. or a135 2.0in AV mode with the lens wide open.. As you can see, the light is an issue. I get a LOT of yellow. I have to shoot at 3200 and then correct with NN in PS3.

Does anyone have any suggestions about WB? I shot this one in AWB mode. I need some help.. Have another game tomorrow night..

Thanks in advance.

You can see more of the images from that night at http://www.lcprophoto.com/new_page_5.htmclick on B team photos.

Doug

Attached Images

SCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:29 AM   #2

Doug,

90-95% of the gyms I shoot in have consistent enough ligthting to allow a custom WB to be set. Give that a try. You'r manual will tell you how. There aresome key components though.

1. set the WB using a truly white object. I recommend either a white card (B&H sells one for $8 so not a huge expense) or expodisk.

2. With expodisk you point at the light SOURCE. For other methods like the card you need the card in the lighting of your subject. So walk down to the court before the game and walk out into the key and hold up the whitecard and snap your shot of it.

3. Take the WB shot with a shutter speed of about 1/60 (So i suggest taking the shot in TV mode). The 1/60 will allow the lights to cycle during the shot and will give you an average color temperature. You'll see some slight color casts but not the huge swing you'd see if you set custom WB with a high shutter speed. And it does an infinitely better job than auto WB.

Additionally I took a look at some of the photos in your gallery and have some additional advice:

1. Get lower - get down to the floor if you can or sit in the front seat. The 135 should be perfect length from the first row (85mm 1.8 is a very common lens for HS basketball and on a 1.6 crop camera it's the same FOV as the 135mm on your camera). Ideally the baseline would be best.

2. Drop your ISO. You're losing too much detail to noise reduction. No need to be shooting at 1/800 shutter speeds. 1/400-1/500 will have a little more blur but you'll have a LOT more detail by lowering your ISO

3. In tandem with step 2 - cut down on the noise reduction so you don't have such a plastic look to the photos. The 5d is a great camera but not at ISO 3200. And especially not when you're cropping.

4. Cut back on the cropping - it's also costing you detail. Get down closer so the action fills the frame.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:15 PM   #3

Iam still struggling with thelight here as you can see. I am not sure why but I shot this one at 3.2, 3200 1/250... I think my hand may have slipped the dial.

Iam excited that I will be getting the 5D mark 2 here in the next day or so...

As always, any advice is welcome.

Doug

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4

John

I also wanted to ask your advice. I have a friend who will sell me a canon 300mm 2,8 for 1500 plus my 135mm 2.0...I already have a 70-200 2,8....not sure what to do.. any thoughts?
FYI, I am typically a wedding photog.. but i am really starting to enjoy sports. Do I need the 400 or should I just get a multiplyer?

Please be my voice of reason.

Doug

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5

SCShooter wrote:
Quote:
John

I also wanted to ask your advice. I have a friend who will sell me a canon 300mm 2,8 for 1500 plus my 135mm 2.0...I already have a 70-200 2,8....not sure what to do.. any thoughts?
FYI, I am typically a wedding photog.. but i am really starting to enjoy sports. Do I need the 400 or should I just get a multiplyer?

Please be my voice of reason.

Doug

Doug, I'm confused by your post.

Are you sayng you would give your friend your 135mm 2.0 plus $1500 for a 300mm 2.8 lens? Which 300mm lens is it - with or without IS?

Figure the used value of your lens is about $850. That means you're getting a 300mm 2.8 lens for $2,300. The IS version of the 300mm 2.8 sells used for about $3500. So, either he's a GREAT friend. Or a not-very-smart friend or there's an issue with the lens.

But then you ask about "the 400". Are you asking whether you should buy a 400mm lens instead of the 300mm one? The answer depends on a couple things - the 400mm goes for about $7,000 new. Are you willing to invest that kind of money? Second, what sports are you planning to shoot. I don't own the 400, but like most sports shooters I lust after it. But, when shooting with a 400mm lens you really need a second body with a shorter lens for a lot of sports.

So, if you could clarify some of the above, I can hopefully give you a better answer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6

John

Sorry. My mind gets a little fried during late night editing. THe lens is a 300 2.8 IS canon. and yes, he is a friend. He is dying to have the 135 2.0 back that I purchased from him and offered me the deal on the 300. As I mentioned, I already have the 70-200 2.8, so I am not really sure I need it, but I think you are correct, it is a heck of a deal..

Still not sure what to do.

Doug
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:14 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Knowing that you have a 5D mkII arriving tomorrow makes me think going for the 300 is a good plan. With only ISO 3200 on tap from the original 5D I wouldn't have wanted to give up f2 shooting but now you have more ISO to play with then I personally would like the extra range. Just don't forget that ISO is not the end of it, when you are having to shoot at ISO 6400 or higher you can really be making the AF work hard due to the low light so the extra stop from the f2 can help there.

Another good thing about the 300 is it takes a 1.4x TC with simply stunning results and even a 2x TC doesOK wide open and is very sharp when stopped down a little.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:21 AM   #8

...and if worse comes to worse, you can always sell it since it retains value really well.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:04 PM   #9

Good point guys! I think it is a done deal.. I will keep you informed. the Mark 2 just got here today.. Gonna shoot some b ball tomorow and will post for your critque.