Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:04 PM   #1

I've followed your suggestions and have a 85MM f/1.8 coming for my Canon XS. Thanks for helping with the indoor dilema.

Now I'm fast forwarding to my next purchase to capture the action outdoors.

The "kit" lens that came w/ the camera is: 18-55MM f/3.5 - 5.6.

Will that lens "freeze" the action?

Or will I need moreZoom to fill the picture frame. being on the sidelines isn't a problem so I can get "fairly close".

Once again. thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

As soon as I stat using my 85MM f/1.8 I'll post some pics for some help making them better.

cheers!:-)
Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:35 PM   #2

What age are the kids in each sport?

Are games all day time or are their any evening games under lights? By the time you get to varsity football and soccer under lights that's going to be tough.

You've really got two issues you need to address:

First - what focal length is required. The ages will tell us that. Full field soccer, you'll need at least 300mm if you're right on the line - 400mm is better. Full size baseball field - same thing - you'll need 300mm if you're shooting from dugout or just off the baseline and want to cover the infield - if you have to shoot from off the field you'll need 400-500mm. At lower age groups on smaller fields, 200mm will suffice.

Second - what aperture do you need to freeze the action. The cheapest lenses capable of field sports will be a 5.6 aperture lens. You only have ISO 1600 to deal with. You'll be fine in good light. But you'll struggle to get sufficient shutter speeds around dusk or in heavy overcast conditions. By the time you're playing under the lights, a 5.6 aperture lens is nowhere good enough.

So, give some more info on the age for each sport. And give us your budget. Outdoor sports you can spend as little as $180 for poor quality shots or $7000 for a 400mm 2.8 lens. So there are a lot of options out there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:28 AM   #3

Most of the outdoor sports will be High School soccer. Those games are generally after school in the daylight.

Night games are few and far between, so night photography won't be one my challenges. (for now anyway)

I'll still want to use a fast shutter speed to capture the action? correct?

My budget is limited, so I think your saying get the biggest zoom I can afford(300 -400mm), and a F/4.0 - 5.6will take care of my need for daytime shooting?

Thanks for the tips.

Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4

What is your budget?

Are you shooting from the field or from outside a fence?

You have to realize that 300mm is good for only about 40 yards. If you're outside a fence that won't leave you with very much coverage at all.

A 400mm lens is good for about 50-60 yards of coverage.

If you're on a tight budget, chances are you're not going to be able to afford anything in the 400mm range. But if you let us know what our budget it we can give you some recommendations. But realize that if you cant get to the field the odds are stacked against you without some serious long glass (the Bigma comes to mind - sigma 50-500 - costs $1000).
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5

No "official budget" yet. will have to stow away $$$ to get what I need...I will tell you that I won't be spending $1000. As a recreational photographer. that kind of money I can't justify.

I realize there could be a sacrific in picture quality though.

To get back to the distance. I'll be on the field. I won't be behind any fences.

Therefore 300-400 mm is probably where I should narrow my "search" to?

Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Homebrew5454 wrote:
Quote:
To get back to the distance. I'll be on the field. I won't be behind any fences.
Therefore 300-400 mm is probably where I should narrow my "search" to?
That is correct.