Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:50 AM   #1

Hella all, well have to a nice change last weekend it's back to the usual local soccer:-). Here's a selection of shots from this weekends game. C&C welcome. Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:33 PM   #2

Graham,

You've got some good action here.

But the reality is none of these look sharp to me. I'm really struggling with why. They remind me of shots that were either over-cropped, had a poor filter on, or were using a TC. Are any of those the case? I can't peg down a front or back focus issue, but even the sharpest here just don't pop out. Maybe the relatively low shutter speed (1/500) was resulting in some camera shake. There's certainly a bit of motion blur but even players standing relatively still aren't very sharp. Wish I could put my finger on what it is, but I can't.

Or maybe it was something in the downsizing for posting.

Any thoughts?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:35 PM   #3

Hello John, I see what you meat looking at the post?? I can't understand why they are so off!, Most are 3/4 to full frame with the exceptions of #4,6 & 7 which arn't too heavyer crops either, I've had this problem with Photobucket before. They are all sharp on the upload!.

I put some up here :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesmangraham/. Please let me know if there is a difference?. Graham.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:17 PM   #4

Graham - it's tough to say for certain with the smaller sizes on flickr but at first glance they certainly look much sharper than what's posted here (looking at the same images in both). Now that you mention it I seem to remember this discussion before regarding photobucket.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:40 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The link you gives certainly look sharper but they are obviously smaller. How about putting a higher quality one on flickr so we can take a quick look to see what is going on, but I agree with John these are looking soft but could easily be something with the PP (either by you or the software).

Oh, some good action btw
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:08 PM   #6

Hello Mark I can't see the facilities to upload a High res pic on Flikr?. however if you click on an image onthe site it does, to some extent, enlarge??. AllI can say is the images when printed at A4 are tack sharp?. Kind regards Graham
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi Graham,

I just put this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/26519666@N00/3248081003/on at 2000 pixels for the long side however it has been downsized by flickr but still higher res than you had.

I know there is a way that you can put full size ones on there but can't see how for the moment.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:46 PM   #8

Hello Mark, thanks for getting back to me!, I see what you've done & I have this facility disabled as it allows anyone to download any specific size!!

I now have a lovely A4 print of your excellent Hockey shot!:blah: ( not really but you get the picture).

I have too many very pooter savvy young players that would gladly rip the pics off (check out the Rugby League ones), I lost £10's of pounds sales due to not disabling this feature!!. So I guess we'll just have to take my word for it that they are sharp:lol:. If you wish me to remove your pic just let me know. Kind regards Graham.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:57 PM   #9
Super Moderator

bluesman graham wrote:
Quote:
I have too many very pooter savvy young players that would gladly rip the pics off (check out the Rugby League ones), I lost £10's of pounds sales due to not disabling this feature!!. So I guess we'll just have to take my word for it that they are sharp:lol:. If you wish me to remove your pic just let me know. Kind regards Graham.
Ah, if you are using this page to share images with others then yes it can happen, this is why I host photos on my own site and size as I wish for posting here. You could start a new account for just posting here then you could do the size you like and if there are no tags people won't be able to search them.