Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:50 PM   #1

A recent Junior County Hockey tournament in County Durham. Pitches frozen till lunchtime, then rain and eventually an hour of light! Taken from the 'spectators area' behind the barrier.

Nikon D70 Sigma 70-300 APO. As always C&C welcome - especially how to stay dry and warm!

Steve

3. OUCH! But he was okay and carried on playing.

swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:16 PM   #2

Nice photos!

Awesome playing surface!

When I used to play in Australia, we'd be swimming in grassy muck playing after a rainfall.

Downside of those nice surfaces though is it's a really fast game, have to be really fit!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the comment Terry. I remember playing on grass, and you're right, watching the ball now is almost impossible! Think I'll stick to being behind the lens and not in front of it.

Steve
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Shooting from behind the barrier is never as easy, I like to be the other side and use it as a backrest LOL.

You are framing pretty well here which is good, I have afew suggestions that will hopefully help take your shots to the next level.

Firstly get lower, this will make the shots more interesting. Most barriers mean with a low stool you can shoot over the top of them, although this is not as good as sitting on the floor it is better than a higher angle.

Look at the position of the sun. You have 2 options here try to get the sun behind you or have the sun behind the players. I personally usually go for the former however I've had some shots that I've liked with a back lit subject. The next thing it so expose for the faces, this means if you are shooting with the sun behind the subject then you will need a higher exposure than you would expect, the best way to do this is to use manual exposure. You can use Av and over expose but it's more hit and miss.

Try and get the players running towards you and if you are doing this shoot in portrait orientation for single player shots and if they are running tight cover.

I'm not sure if you spotted this thread where I've covered these points and a few more http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82it might help.

As for keeping warm, that's a harder one LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:43 AM   #5

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tips. As you can see from Picture 4, the surrounding fence is about 3 foot high, and as it was a Junior tournament, there is all sorts of insurance and child protection issues (I am only a parent and not the official photographer at these events). Most of the time at my sons usual venues I'm well known and haven't any issues with permissions etc. as I have always asked beforehand, but as this was an EHA tournament, I didn't have any prior knowledge of the venue (e.g. only had access to one side of the pitch) or organisers so didn't want to cause and grief to a difficult day for the organisers by asking to go inside the fence.

Shoot mainly in Aperture Priority mode, but lens is quite slow to focus so I end up tracking play for a few seconds to try and get them as sharp as possible.

I will certainly put those ideas into practice at our local club when I next get a chance.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Super Moderator

That height of fence is not helpful then, I would complain LOL. I used to shoot with a Konica Minolta 5D and I used a Tamron 70-300 so performance was probably similar so I know what you mean. You are doing the right thing allowing it to track and then fire off a 3 or so shot burst and you should be fine. Even with them coming straight towards you I didn't have huge issues as the DOF was quite large with the wide apertures these lenses work at.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:18 AM   #7

I will certainly make those comments, and I'll use you as a reference :G Looking at the last few matches, I'm shootingat F4.2 through to f5.6. Thanks for you comments, and I'll let you know how I get on with EHA! :evil: