Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1

My 5D MK2 arrives tomorrow. I was curious if anyone has shot basketball or any sports stuf at the higher ISO 6400 and above with this camera... Are there anylinks anywhere I can check out?

Doug
SCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Doug,

I don't know of anyone on Steve's yet who has a 5D mkII and certainly not seen anyone using it for sports. When I played with one I did find that ISO 6400 was very usable and 12800 should be fine for smaller prints.

I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:17 PM   #3

I'm sure there are some photogs out there using it for some sports use but probably not a lot. The thing about the 5d is it still doesn't have the pro level focus system. So sports shooters are either using 1-series canon cameras or went the Nikon route (300d and I've seen quite a bit of 700d stuff). So, while the high ISO should be great I think people doing a lot of sports work lean towards these other cameras or stay with the 50d. Going from a 50d to 5dmkII you get a bump in IQ, but no bump in focus performance, a loss in frames per second and it costs more.

And I know there has been endless debate on noise performance in the 50d. Here's my take based on the SPORTS images I've seen - the 50D ISO 6400 images clean up to a VERY usable level. Not as good as the full frames (5dmkII and D700, D3) but still very decent. IMO, I'd rather have an improvement in focus performance if bypassing the 50d. I think a lot of serious sports shooters follow the same thought process (thus a lot of jumps to Nikon in the last year) so you're not seeing a whole lot of 5dmkII sports shooters out there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I primarily do wedding and plan to use the upgrade to the mark 2 for that. I also have a 40 that I typically will use for sports shooting but I am limited by the ISO, although the shots are stiill usable. I realized that for sports I am limited with my use of the 5D mk 2, but I think it is a fair tradeoff.

As I mentioned, I plan on shooting some HS JV ball tomorrow nght with the setup and will post for your opinions. Thanks to everyone on this site. Ihave used this website for years to read reviews, just never got into the forums, but I am finding that you folks are a goldmine of info.

Doug
SCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:09 AM   #5

Man, its exciting when you get new gear. Cant wait to see your shots.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:15 AM   #6

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
Man, its exciting when you get new gear. Cant wait to see your shots.
That goes for wedding shots too by the way!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7

JohnG,
When you state

*The thing about the 5d is it still doesn't have the pro level focus system. So sports shooters are either using 1-series canon cameras or went the Nikon route (300d and I've seen quite a bit of 700d stuff)*

what is this based on? I'm not doubting what you say, it's just that I've never heard of a different focus system existing in the higher end Canon's than in their other models. It begs the question of why they would not put it into the new MKII. Right now, focus is a huge issue with me on my 10D and 80-200 2.8. I know I need to upgrade my camera but I'm wondering what to buy.
I went to the PMA in Vegas this year hoping to come away with an answer but there really was no way to test the D3x against the MKII and all I got from the reps was sales pitches.
Obviously I need 3200 and 6400 capabilities but I want the vast majority of my shots in focus and have been scouring the blogs and asking anyone who will listen. I was told by several sports photogs in Vegas that I'll notice a huge difference between the MKII and the 10D on the focusing issue and maybe so, but if I'm going to be laying out a substantial amount of cash on a new camera and lens, I don't want to be having the same issues I'm having now.
I'm in total agreement with you on rather having an improvement in focus if stepping up from the 50D. Is this an issue with other sports photographers? Are they leaving Canon *(thus a lot of jumps to Nikon in the last year)*. Am I reading too much into this?

TeamSportsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8

TeamSportsPhotos wrote:
Quote:
JohnG,
When you state

*The thing about the 5d is it still doesn't have the pro level focus system. So sports shooters are either using 1-series canon cameras or went the Nikon route (300d and I've seen quite a bit of 700d stuff)*

what is this based on?
The most obvious thing you'll notice is the 5dII doesn't have the 45 focus points - only 9. Just like the original 5d, which had a better focus system than xxD and xxxD cameras, so too does the 5dmkII. But it still doesn't have the 1-series system. Reading posts from what I believe are reliable photographers it still seems to be the case. The new 1 series cameras outperform the 5dmkII which outperforms the 50d.

For that matter, it's worth noting focus points aren't the whole thing. The D300 has Nikon's 51 point focus grid but users of both it and the D3 will tell you the focus speed of the D300 isn't as good as the D3. Canon and Nikon aren't stupid. They're not going to give sports shooters the top focus system at half the cost. If they put the 1-series system into the 5dmkII sales of the 1ds would go in the toilet. If they had 6fps and the focus system then sales of the 1dmkIII would go in the toilet. There's a lot to like about the 1dmkIII besides the focus system but no way would I have bought it if the focus capability was in, say, the 50d. The other features just aren't worth the $2500 premium - but the focus system tips the scales and Canon knows it.
Old May 15, 2009, 6:19 PM   #9

Default Focus Issues John

John G,
I've done some research on other sites that test cameras and indeed, there is a different focusing system used in the 1D MKIII and Nikon's 51 point Multi-cam system gets high ratings as well.
So if I were to upgrade from my 10D to the 1D, I would probably notice a huge difference in my 80-200 2.8 lens in regards to the percentage of in-focus shots. Would I also see such a difference again (or any at all) if I also went with the newer 70-200 2.8 (IS or not). The reason I ask is... if I'm also looking at upgrading lenses to optimize performance, it makes looking at a Nikon more reasonable if I'm changing lenses also (the 2.8 is the only one I have that is worth concern) IF Nikon has a superior auto-focus system.
My main concern right now is indoor hockey arenas and so I'm looking at high ISO - highest quality shots available AND the most responsive and accurate auto-focus camera. I've chatted with a few guys who feel the D3 is superior to their D50's but I haven't talked to anyone who could compare the D3 with the higher ended Canons.
I hope anyone with any experience with this will jump in with their "two cents" - it would be much appreciated.
TeamSportsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:54 PM   #10

It's a good idea asking other photographers how they find their equipment, I do that too, look at their work, etc. It's a good tool in the evaluation tool box.

But before I would lay that kind of money out, I would want to actually test the camera body...with my lenses in the situations, I want to photograph.

Case in point, back in the '80's I was considering buying a Pentax 6 X 7 and the 90 mm leaf shutter lens.

I was fortunate that I was able to rent a 6 X 7 for a weekend. This time period gave me a great opportunity to wring it out...to see if it met my expectations...which it did.

I would recommend you consider this option. If you have the camera for a few days and are able to try it out at the type of events and venues that you want...this would seem to give you a pretty good chance to evaluate.

I realize that it maybe difficult, if your not near a large city to find a place that rents cameras at this level.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote