Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1

I am still struggling with WB and composition.... Most of these were shot at 3200 ISO with a Canon 70-200 2.8 AV mode. I tried to keep the shutter between 320 and 400

Comments , corrections and Criticisms welcome.

The last image was placed here to just see if you are all paying attention.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

SCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2

Without exif, I can only make some general comments, but here goes. Most have a lack of sharpness. There are4 probable causes - 1) motion blur due to slow shutter speeds 2) lack of post processing - if you didn't apply USM or similar you should 3) focus just wasn't accurate to begin with 4) resizing - we've seen in other users where the resizing turned sharp images into not sharp images.

shot 1: nice action but wb look off and #12s face is not sharp. without exif tough to say if it's motion blur or not but I suspect so. You said you tried to keep shutter between 1/320 and 1/400 - 1/320 is too slow. Bump up the ISO you need faster speeds.

shot 2 - again nice action but same problem - wb off and face not sharp.

shot 3 - same issues. But even if sharper the action or expression isn't very compelling (i.e. a good shot either has interesting action or interesting expression)

shot 4 - player's backside. Very rarely is a shot from behind going to be compelling.

shot 5 - nice action again. WB still an issue as is facial sharpness and for me the framing - legs cut off.

shot 6 - same shot as shot 1

shot 7 - nice action and expression but motion blur hurts this as does WB/exposure - i.e. the skin tones don't look right.

shot 8 - WB / sharpness - this shot is all about his expression so it needs to POP.

shot 10 - great action. Get the WB fixed and you have a great shot here.

shot 11 - I like the shot - still WB problems and it looks like a bit too much noise reduction. Are you leaving the in-camera NR turned on? If so, turn it off and do NR in post processing.

shot 12 - finally got the right WB

So - here are the things for your next outing:

1. Set a custom WB

2. Get faster shutter speeds

3. Improve sharpness (use USM if not currently, determine if it's the resize or if you did apply USM and the originals are this soft we need to talk about your focus techniques)

4. Turn off in-camera NR and do your own in PP.

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3

Most appreciated kind sir. I may have had the NR on inside the camera. I will have to check that. I have another game in the same gym tomorrow. I will post and again hope for the best.

Here is some video I shot with the MK2 that same night... for those who are interested in the video part of this camera.

http://www.vimeo.com/3188101

SCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote