Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Well I did it again, I actually went out and shot some sports.

Here are a few from today. I'm still not getting the number of keepers I used to so have to get myself back into the swing of it, however I did have fun.

Any CC welcome as usual.

6 At one point I suddenly was photographing rugby LOL.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:53 PM   #2

G'day Mark

Some cool shots, with varied facial expressions well captured. Cheers!

Do you find it difficult when you shoot such sports to get ALL the people who are in the frame / composition - included in entirety in the shot? i.e. in photo 1 you have the girl in green as the subject, but you also have the oof girl in red in the background. to the right, but her foot, arm and hockey stick aren't totally "in".

Same with most of the other shots. I'm definitely not a "sports shooter" - but just wondering if this is something you TRY to do (get people completely "in or out")? Or am I just being unreasonable?

I particularly appreciate how you captured the intensity of the hockey game here... both the obvious speed, body language and facial expressions.

I was playing some tennis yesterday with a friend from church... hope you would be able to come Down Under one day and capture some photos of me... but I'll be sure to check with you for my approval for any photos you upload of me! Just in case I'm revealing as much as the last shot!! :-)

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Paul.

In regard to extra people in the frame, pretty much I would rather only have those involved in the action as usually they don't add anything to the shot and more likely they detract. Depending where I'm located then it can affect the likelihood of extra people in shot. Today I was shooting from behind the goal line about 15m right of goal, this generally helps getting approaching action but does mean that more people are in the way.

If you look at this series from a couple of weeks ago where I was on the sideline there were less people in the way and I generally capture slightly different action. Field Hockey 31st Jan 09 (12 replies - 298 views)

As for the Tennis I would gladly grab some shots. I'm playing tomorrow after Church, it was squash and swimming today. Would I post a photoof you like the last one in this series, it depends what you do LOL. Also if this wasn't an adult or was not covered then this sort of shot would have been left out but I loved the low attack on the approaching player.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:22 AM   #4

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comments and answering my curious questions! Really appreciate it.

Yes, I can see that in some photos "extra people" can distract, at other times they create the scene / environment for the subject of the photo. I didn't think so closely but yes, as you explained - you (the photographer's) positioning affects likelihood and type of "background" - either people or otherwise.

I have looked at the series you suggested - and will comment there.

Well, I guess I'll have to fork out a huge sum if I were to get you here for Tennis... it's a long way from UK to Australia! I don't think my tennis moves are too flambouyant, lol!! I also play squash - hope you enjoyed your match.

Cheers again.. I really appreciate your photography.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks Paul. The squash was good. I also played tennis yesterday and will do again this evening (only some easy doubles) before I go and play football.... a fun filled evening to be had :-).
Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:58 PM   #6

Hi Mark,

Another good set of pictures. Your timing is spot on as usual, and leaves me thinking I should hang up the camera! Also, how did you get the weather on Saturday? I was at a local club match in Driffield, and got grey overcast clouds! Like 4 & 5, but I also get a lot of 6's!!!

Steve
swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:11 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks Steve, did you do any shooting?

As for timing, this is a part of it and usually I will take a burst of 3-5 shots (at 10 fps) so there is a better chance with getting the moment you require, usually mid stride works well but other elements come into play.

As for the weather, it was undecided, it wasn't nasty but the sun kept coming and going.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:15 PM   #8

Hi Mark,
I did and actually as it was a club friendly managed to get 'inside' - no fences to worry about, but not to happy with the results. Will post a few for your perusal. Have posted a few on the club website quickly for the mens team.
Cheers
Steve
swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote