Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:33 PM   #1

.....ive searched topics of this sort here and found many answers to camera settings and such. but one question i have is shooting thru the glass. the arena my boy plays at has protective netting above the glass near the stands. so really the only places to shoot from would be either from the corner of the bench,time keeper or penalty box area or thru the glass. sometimes if we are not at our home rink obtaining these areas might be a problem. by shooting thru the glass will the camera pick up the glass in focus or can i lock in on my subject by zooming thru? also anyone who has shot tru the glass id love to hear how the captures turn out. thanks
hawksfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:09 PM   #2

well i guess i can figure it out by trial and error. one other thing, shooting with the d-60 body, sigma 2.8 70- 200mm lens. will that be good enough to capture hockey and rec baseball?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:47 PM   #3

Hockey is one sport I don't shoot. But I can give you a bit of info. Focus won't be the problem - as long as you're right up on the glass. The problem will be sharpness. The more scratches the more problems - also flare off the glass. You want to get right up on the glass to cut down on the flare and minimize the affects of scratches. You will likely need ISO 3200 for the hockey - just make sure you're exposing for faces not anything else and realize the camera will tend to underexpose shots where the ice is in the frame (camera will try to expose it as grey instead of white).

For baseball it depends on the size of the field. If it's a full sized diamond then no, 200mm will be too short. 200mm is good for about 75 feet so not even long enough for a full base line. On a smaller field it will be OK if you're on the field or dugout.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:19 PM   #4

thanks john. really appreciate it. ill be on the field at 1st or 3rd for baseball,so that wont be a problem. one more question. should i set the focus mode to af-s single servo, or to af-c continuous-servo? also with the sigma lens should i always leave it wide open at 2.8 for both sports? thanks again
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:09 PM   #5

My inclination is to say AF-S you just want to be sure you track the subject (giving the camera time to focus) before firing since AF-s is shutter priority.

As for being on the field and there not being a problem I'm guessing you're saying it's not a full size diamond since a full size diamond has 90' base paths and even if you were standing on the bag itself, 200mm would be too short to get from the corner to second, much less cross-diamond at the opposing base.

And yes you should leave the lens wide open. You'll need it wide open for shutter speeds in hockey and you'll want it wide open for subject isolation in baseball.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:30 PM   #6

thanks again john. the rec ball leauge is pewee, so its 60 or 65 feet from home to 1st or third base. ill shoot in af-s in both sports and see what happens..baseball on a sunny day 2.8 200 iso, 2000 of a sec shutter speed.what shutter in hockey should i shoot? 400 of a sec?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:10 PM   #7

Hawksfan,

Here is a link with some tips you might find useful:

http://www.lexar.com/dp/tips_lessons/smith_hockey.html

Also I have taken my fair share of hockey photos, both through the glass and above the glass. I don't have a lot of time to type out things right this second, but I will share some things I've learned through trial and error in a later post. You can definately get some good photos with the setup you have. If you want to check out some of my hockey photos you can go here:

http://chrisg19.smugmug.com/

Not a professional by any means, but I like them.

Chris
chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:35 PM   #8

very nice pics chrisg. the little guy will love those when he reaches your age. thats what i want to do for my little guy also. looking forward to more advice thru your trial and error when you get a chance. thanks a million. hawksfan30