Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:17 AM   #1

Anyone have some tips on shooting high school baseball games. I've done it but it has to be hardest (for me) sport to shoot not to mention the most boring.
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:53 AM   #2

Do you have access to shoot from inside the fence or in the dugout?

What gear do you have at your disposal?

Oh, forgot to ask - what are you doing with the photos? That will drive types of shots to take.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:40 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Do you have access to shoot from inside the fence or in the dugout?

What gear do you have at your disposal?

Oh, forgot to ask - what are you doing with the photos? That will drive types of shots to take.
I have access in the dugout. I use a Canon 40D with Sigma 70-200 2.8 & a 2x converter. I sell them to parents.

Thanks JohnG

Stoltzy

Also the coach wants a shot of the whole team on the field during the game. Any ideals, I can shot it from the press box above home plate but it would be through the fence. Don't know how well it would turn out with the fence between me and the players.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:31 AM   #4

OK, first suggestion is to save your pennies for next season - 70-200 plus 2x TC is not a great combo.

If you're selling to parents the goal is to have photos of the kids in a positive light - not necessarily great action. In other words no one will buy a shot of their child getting tagged out on a steal of second even if it's a great looking photo.

First advice is to get shots of the kids during warmups. This is your best opportunity to get each player with the ball in the frame. The parents don't know if a photo was during warmups or game - and a shot of their kid making a play looks good. This gives you your basic shots . Make sure to position yourself down the baseline during warmups to get shots of the outfielders catching their balls.

You can also get shots of the pitcher during warmups before the inning. Great opportunity to get shots from behind the plate while still on the field. For side shots you'll have to be in the correct dugout - 3rd base dugout for right-handers, 1st base dugout for left handers. The reverse is true for batters.

Learn who on the team can steal - those are great shot opportunities.

And, don't forget the sportrait shots - moms love photos of their kids smiling, laughing and just looking good - even if their's no action. These shots are a waste for news work but a great seller for parents.

You're biggest problem is often going to be the base coach on your side of the field - they love to move outside the designated area and ruin a lot of your shots.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:14 AM   #5

Thank JohnG,

What lens do you suggest, I don't usally use the TC, just put it in there to let you know it was available for use. Also what about taking a shot from the press box, is the fence going to be a problem.
When my son played years ago I always took shot during warm ups, got great shots with the ball in the pocket of the glove. I knew when the shot was taken but didn't care. Just figured that a parent would wonder when did my son make that play in this game.

Thanks again.

Stoltzy
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:45 AM   #6

Stoltzy,

You'll need the TC. That 200mm is only good for about 75 feet of quality coverage. That won't even make a single baseline. You'll need at least 300mm to cover the infield from the dugout. The Sigma 100-300 f4 is a great choice. I use and prefer the 120-300 (because of the flexibility of the 2.8) but the 100-300 is sharper.

Can't speak to how shots from the pressbox works I'm not familiar with the field layout you have and the location of the pressbox or what type of fencing you have.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:45 PM   #7

I purchased the Sigma 100-300mm lense w/ the 1.4 as recommended by John and have been very pleased.

Some other great advice I have received from this forum if to try to sit on the ground and shoot up if possible. Particularly with the caps blocking the faces in baseball. Shooting from the ground helps get more face shots.

If you're on the 3B side, try to get face shots of the batter stepping out of the batters box and looking at the 3rd base coach for signals.

Your right baseball, particularily HS level on up is a challenge and you spend a great deal of time anticipating what is going to happen then looking throughthe lense, you may miss what the details of the play. That is why it is hard for parents to get action shots of their son.
JimW. is offline   Reply With Quote