Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1

I bowl, and enjoy watching professional bowling. A few weeks ago the tournament on TV was a plastic ball event. For those non bowlers, as with other sports, the equipment is so good, most people question the actual skill of the bowler. Plastic balls were used many years ago. They limited the amount of pin action, hook, and overall ping carry. The same goes for tennis, golf, etc. Take the high end piece of equipment out of the person's hands, and see how good they really are.

On to photography. I for one, would like to see some pictures shot with lower end lenses. For example, let's see the best people can do with a Canon Kit Lens. I find it hard to compare some of these posted images with mine. As I'll most likely never be able to afford 1000 on a lens. When I look at the shots, I'm like, "wow"!

Then I feel mine will "never be good enough".

So maybe if my frame of reference is adjusted to what I have, or can afford, my goals will be more attainable.
kc571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:38 AM   #2

KC, I know what you mean, but I am sure you can get good results with a Canon 50mm f1.8.which is pretty cheap, or an 85 mm f 1.8, which is a bit more expensive but a great lens (IMHO)

Are you shooting bowling??

Cheers Dave
Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:57 PM   #3

here you go, the ama supercross was here in new olreans last weekend, well they wouldn't let me in with my 70-200mm 2.8 so i used my 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 (this lens is $229 at bh photo) all i did was unsharp mask, i didn't use a noise removal tool, so they are a little noisy.

1. not exactly the way to ride supercross

2. my kit wish list

3. kevin wyndham rocking a new orleans saints painted helmet

4. k-dub in practice

5. chad reed in practice

6. james "bubba" stewart in practice

7. i have no idea who this is, sorry

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:41 AM   #4

kc571 wrote:
Quote:

On to photography. I for one, would like to see some pictures shot with lower end lenses. For example, let's see the best people can do with a Canon Kit Lens. I find it hard to compare some of these posted images with mine. As I'll most likely never be able to afford 1000 on a lens. When I look at the shots, I'm like, "wow"!
There are plenty of venues where people are not allowed in with higher-spec equipment. I can take virtually anything into the local major league baseball stadium, but the local NFL team will only allow DSLR's to be brought in by media photogs.

I often go to NHL games with my DSLR, but my bigger, faster tele zoomlens is not allowed, so I take the tele kit lens sold with the outfit and, shooting from the upper deck, do well enough to be happy knowing it's strictly for my enjoyment..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:21 AM   #5
TG

You can get good shots with consumer lenses, some good samples from John & Greg. It doesn't matter what lenses your using as long as you're out there taking photos and enjoying it. Here is a shot taken with a Canon 28-200 f3.5-5.6 (very bad lenses) on a 10D (my first DSLR, oh the memories)

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:00 AM   #6

This is with aCanon kit lens (25-135 I believe) from a beginner.Settings were on auto.Like Isaid this is from a total newbie and not as good as the othersbut as you requested an example from a kit lens. No adjustments were made to the photo.

Attached Images

GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:08 PM   #7

Here's my $0.02.. Canon Rebel XT with 75-300mm lens. This is almost a 100% crop (1865x1500px)

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote