Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Tried my hand photographing hockey with a P&S camera (Kodak Z612). Game was the I-Wireless Center (formerly The Mark), Moline, IL, a first class medium sized arena.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2

The EXIF data is included. The I-Wireless is bright but even at the level it was this night I don't thing the lights were maxed out.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3

Skates are optional.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:23 PM   #4

Face-off as the puck hits the ice.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:25 PM   #5

Puck on its way from face-off.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:11 AM   #6

Hi AC.

Hope you enjoyed the game. The reality is it is tough to get good shots from so far awayand such a high angle. Like most non-motorized sports, faces are important in hockey. Being able to see eyes and expressions are an important part of sports photos. The distance factor makes it tough to get faces but so does the angle. My advice is - if you want to shoot the hockey game and get decent shots you'll need to get much closer seats. The challenge then becomes the glass. The lower the angle the more the glass gets in the way of the shot - unless you're right up on the glass itself.

The second issue at play here is for action shots you want the action to fill the frame. In most of these shots there's just too much uninteresting dead space - players not involved in the play, ice, walls, etc. You really want the 1 or 2 players involved in the action to fill the entire frame.

The third issue is minor in comparison - but the shots are underexposed. That happens because of the ice. You need tto shoot with either a manual exposure or exposure compensation (if your camera has either) to force exposure up about +2/3 or so.

I realize this may sound like fairly harsh criticism - after all, it's tough to get great seats and even then you're limited with the gear at hand. But the thing about sports photos is the level of the subject doesn't factor in to the quality of the photo. A quality shot of a 10 year old is going to bet better than most shots of pro skaters because of the obstacles involved in getting good shots at a pro arena.

So, if you intend on shooting another game, try to get lower seats so you're closer to the action and can fill the frame with your subject and can see the faces - and don't forget the EC to bring up the exposure a bit. I'd be very interested to see how that camera performs if you get an opportunity to correct those issues.

Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7

Actually I did have a little exposure comp plugged in, +1/3 stop, but I'm inclined to agree an additional bit would have been useful. I was cautious because I didn't want to burn out the ice.

I found that setting the focus to distance/landscape settinghelped because of the low contrast of the ice.

Besides being high I was also near one goal so the protection netting interfered when I had a better chance of face shots.

It's unlikely that I'll get another chance as the team experienced low revenue and will probably move next season.

A. C.