Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:37 AM   #11

Quote:
2) Meaning "M" mode correct? So I should set the shutter speed and aperture setting? Should I stay at 1/500 (if possible) and set the aperture for as low as the lens allows? (Sometimes I was getting the "low" flashing for aperture) Do you think it would have been possible to get my ISO down to 800?
Yes - M Mode. So you will set ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The values you select should expose FACES properly - don't worry about uniforms. Try to stay around f2.0 - don't go to 1.8 unless absolutely necessary. 1/500 is a good goal. There is no way you'll be able to get 1/500 at ISO 800 f2.0 in any HS gym I've ever seen. That would require a pro arena. Don't pay attention to the camera telling you the exposure is wrong - the whole point of shooting manual is that you're not trusting the camera to meter correctly. Look at photos in the LCD - the D90 has a good one - let them be your guide. The photos should look good on the LCD. Resist the urge to say to yourself "they're a little dark but I can fix that in PP".
Quote:
3) I'm pretty much courtside the entire time and move to where I can get the best views. (I saw the pro photog there staying mostly by the ref stand sitting on the floor so I was doing that too.) This position gets me too close though when the attack is on my side. I just have to work on this.
Yes that's where I prefer to shoot too. There's a reason for that - it's rare a player would end up there but if you slide down the line a player can easily be trying to make a save off-court and potentially run into you (resulting in everyone there blaming you). You are correct that makes the framing very tight. Remember though, the pro is likely using a camera with less of a crop factor and is probably using a zoom lens that goes wider than 85mm.

Quote:
4) I think I was using "dynamic" as that's what the manual says to use for sports. I also was using AF-C to let the camera continue focusing. I'll put it back on single point, leave it in AF-C mode, focus on the face, then follow the player.....good?
Well I don't shoot Nikon I shoot canon. If dynamic is a setting that lets the camera choose which focus point to use then you DONT want to use that. The key is to follow the game and PREDICT which player is going to make the next play - then focus on that player. Sure you'll guess wrong a number of times and other times other players get in the way. But you're better off getting 30 quality shots than 200 poor ones. And yes, I believe AF-C is the mode you would use on Nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:58 PM   #12

First of all, you are definitely in the right place. A little over a year ago I was the parent-photog just trying to get good results and have benefitted greatly from all the advice and encouragement on this forum. I was also at MAPL - probably the 'pro' you refer to. I'm still working on uploading my results for all the teams, but here is one of your team:

When I don't have the option to be above the action, I find that sitting near the 'up ref' gives me the best option for shooting volleyball. Looking up enhances the action, plus from that angle I get more player in the frame. Of course, the type of shot you get depends on which side you are on. If you are on the right side, you get shots of the setter and right-side hitter. When on the left side, you get the OH and MH (I may stand if teams are really good about covering hits and getting in my way). I mostly find that on either side, the action that close is not that interesting anyway (players are generally looking into the court).

I use a Canon 50D, so I do have the same crop factor issue. On day 1 I used a 70-200mm zoom at 6400 ISO (the shot above), but switched to the 85mm 1.8 (shot at f/2.0) for day 2 and felt better about the results. The lighting at the convention center sucked, with lights cycling and wide spacing between the lights resulting in bright spots and different color balance issues - and the bright red floor didn't help matters much.

Keep shooting! You are really off to a great start. Maybe we'll run into each other at Big South..

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:46 PM   #13

Indeed you're the pro I was referring to! Thanks for the post. I appreciate the feedback. And that's a great pic by the way.

And yes, we'll be at the Big South in two weeks. See you there. Try to find us....we're Beach Elite 15s from Virginia Beach. (We just won our regional tournament today......going to Miami in June!)

Posting new photos from today in a different post. I think they turned out much better this time.
tripppsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:54 PM   #14

Congratulations on winning the region. We don't have our regional bid tournament until after the qualifiers (4/18). My daughter is on Triangle 15 Black.

By the way, here is a link to the rest of the pics for your team:

http://photos.myschoenrock.com/keywo...+elite+15+roxy

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:32 AM   #15

We played you guys up at the Monument City Classic earlier this year. VERY good team!!!
tripppsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:27 PM   #16

Nice shots, I got similar results with my Sony A-700 and the Minolta 50mm f.17 lens.
I am considering strongly the Carl Zeiss 85mm f1/4
Are you overall happy with thin magnification or would you recommend the 135mm f/1.8

Where were these shots taken? My Grandaughter plays frequently at the Anaheim Sports Area, a nice facility.

Thanks

Jim B
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:53 AM   #17

Another point I wanted to point out... Im just an amateur myself but over the weekend I tested ISO settings. I have found my 800 ISO shots look better then any others at the moment. I speed read things but I think you said you thought the photos were a little too grainy? Turn it down to 800 and give it a bash...
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronnic View Post
Turn it down to 800 and give it a bash...
The problem is, for indoor volleyball it wont be possible to get fast enough shutter speeds at ISO 800.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:07 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The problem is, for indoor volleyball it wont be possible to get fast enough shutter speeds at ISO 800.
Yes, I would love to have shot volleyball somewhere that I could use only ISO800 however usually it's been ISO 1600 or 3200. Getting rid of noise is much better than having motion blur in the shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
NOTE TO SELF: Dont talk unless knowing about it. I guess that what I get for doing outdoor sports in bright sun all day.
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote