Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:08 AM   #1

Is it normal for a 2x converter to have more noise while shooting outdoor sports such as golf, baseball or track.

Thanks
Stolty
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:03 PM   #2
TG

What brand TC and lens? Post a sample with & without TC.

Use Tc's a lot, 1.4x& stacked1.4x (2 Tc's (1.96x)). Have not experienced more noise in image just loss of sharpness. Only time get more noise is when I have to use higher ISO due to losing one or two stops of light. But this is a camera issue.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

All TCs will reduce the quality of the shot you will get. As for increasing noise what you are probably going to see is the higher ISO setting that is required to get the same shutter speed (assuming you shoot wide open with and without the TC). You are going to have 2 stops less light so lets assume you have a f2.8 lens and the conditions mean you are shooting at ISO 400. Then with the TC you will be f5.6 so to get the same shutter speed you will need to be at ISO 1600 which is a big difference.

As TG intimates by his post there are different grade TC's which will have a big impact on the final result. Another major factor is the main lens you are using, unless you have something of high quality to start with then I wouldn't bother at all you are just wasting money.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:49 PM   #4

I'm using a Canon 40D with a Sigma 70-200 apo, ex, dg, micro 2.8 lens and the tc is a Sigma 2x apo. I guess it is more a sharpness problem than it is the noise, since you said that. Is there any tricks to improving the sharpness at the camera level or does it all have to be done in post editing.

Thanks everyone for the help.

stoltzy
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

You can increase the sharpness in the camera however this isn't the best way to do things, PP is by far the better option as you have much more control over settings.

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and 2x TC is not a great combo, I've used this combo and even with a 1.4x TC it is not great at the long end when shooting wide open. Using the same TC on the Canon 70-200 f2.8 which I switched to is a vast improvement although still not something I would want to be using regularly.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:05 PM   #6

So if I'm shooting baseball or someone playing golf would you just leave off the tc or try to make it work with the lens not wide open.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:07 PM   #7
Super Moderator

It's a tough one for sure. It is the issue of range over quality. If you can get close enoughto just use the lens at 200mm then go for it, if you can't then go for the TC but stop it down a bit while adjusting settings to keep the shutter speed where you want it.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:23 PM   #8

Mark1616 thanks so much for your help. Just trying to learn what I can at this sports photography thing.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:00 PM   #9

I rented a 2x converter to use with my 70-200mm f/2.8 after doing some test shots decided I'd be better off without it and cropping. I took one picture (actually several - just to be sure) of a stationary object about 50 yards from me with the converter on. Took the coverter off, adjusted the 2 stops for correct exposure, then took several more shots of the same subject. When I got back and cropped the latter to the same dimensions as the first - I found that even with the crop, the IQ was still much higher than with the converter.

Of course, the converter in the rental fleet might not have been the best either...
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:48 AM   #10

I too have considered gettting a converter but based on other posts I have been leaning toward the 1.4x instead of the 2x. Would the quality of results from the1.4x be as diminshed as what's been described here with the 2x? Or is the trade off between the extra reach more justified by lesser loss in quality usign the 1.4? I mainly am looking to use it for kidssoccer with the 70-200 on my Canon XSi.

Thanks.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote