Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:01 PM   #1

Well, I was back at it this weekend at the Boo Williams Sportsplex in Hampton, VA. The lighting here was pretty good in my opinion. I shot these on my D90 set to shutter priority 1/500 at ISO 2200-3600 which was giving me apertures of f2.8-4.0 for the most part. I was using three lens: 70-200mm f2.8 (that I was borrowing - wow, nice lens), my 85mm f1.8 and my 50mm f1.8. I also tried some of the tips from other posts like using center point focusing and staying with the player to keep focus. I also had the noise reduction turned to high. Still no using custom white balance though. Need to work on that. And I know I still need to work on framing and catching the peak action. Anyway, of 300 pics - here's the best of the bunch. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Attached Images

tripppsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:02 PM   #2

pic 2
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3

pic 3
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:02 PM   #4

pic 4
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:03 PM   #5

pic 5
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:04 PM   #6

These look a lot better in my Nikon software. I emailed them to myself and used the email to make the file smaller. Probably not a good idea huh?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:09 PM   #7

Here's the last one again without using the email editor to size it down.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:26 PM   #8

Good improvement over the first bunch! You are definitely on the way. Some additional comments/suggestions - some of which have already been made.

1. Move away from Shutter Priority and go Manual or Aperture Priority (if you're not quite ready for Manual). Keeping the aperture wide open gives better subject isolation (shallow DOF) and faster shutter speeds. With the 1.8 lenses stay at f2.0 or higher.

2. Bite the bullet and use custom white balance. Its something I also struggle with as well, but getting the color right in camera really makes all the difference in the world.

3. One thing that's really tough - especially in volleyball is capturing faces. But its what will move you past everyone else (I know its not always possible, but its definitely worth the effort) Really look for different angles and spots where you can get faces in the shots (tightly framed and at peak action - of course ;-).

4. I'd recommend turning off the in-camera noise reduction and using software like noise ninja or noiseware to do noise reduction in post processing. It adds a step, but it give much more flexibility and it'll increase the sharpness.

5. If you are not already doing it, I'd also do USM (sharpening) in post processing as well. It'll help make the subject 'pop'..

I hope that helps. Again, you've got a really good start here. By the time you head to Miami you'll be as good as any pro..

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote