Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:59 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D80 with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens that I shoot high school volleyball and basketball with. I am not getting the results I would like to get. I am shooting without a flash and a lot of times the ball is blurred in my pics. What ISO, Apperture, etc... settings should I be using? Thank you.
vbjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:32 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll probably need to use ISO 3200 with an f/2.8 zoom, shooting at wide open apertures. But, I wouldn't expect to always freeze a rapidly moving ball or rapid hand movement. If a fast moving ball is the only thing a bit blurry, you're probably doing pretty good. What kind of shutter speeds are you seeing now?

Chances are, using manual exposure at ISO 3200, f/2.8 and 1/400 second will get you close the right exposure. Then, adjust from there (faster shutter speed for a darker exposure or slower shutter speed for a brighter exposure). I'd probably use a custom white balance. Noise will be relatively high from a D80 using ISO 3200. But, that may be better than more blurry photos if you try to use a lower ISO speed. You'll have to decide if the tradeoffs are worth it.

You may also want to consider a brighter prime (for example, a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 ), Depending on lighting, you may get able to get away with using ISO 1600 with one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3

I will give it a try next weekend and get back with you. Thank you.
vbjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote