Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:57 AM   #1

Some pictures from an often misunderstood sport.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice to see something a little different in here.

I would like to see some more action to capture the energy of a game. I think possibly in the last shot there is a paintball that has just impacted which helps add to the shot but think the shutter speed is too slow. This has created some camera shake, you are working at extreme focal lengths so ideally you want to get the shutter to about 1/500s +. The ISO is only 64 so get this to 200 will help, 400 would be better but obviously you are getting more noise.

The sort of thing I think would really work well is capturing when the paintball/gas are leaving the marker, this is going to be easier if you can find an angle that is more towards the front of the player.Something else to try is captureplayers as they are advancing up the game area. Again shooting from the front if possible helps lots. Lastly if there are players who when advancing slide in behind protection this could be some good action too.

I hope you are a regular player so get to shoot some more and share with us.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips. Ill try a faster shutter speed with a slightly higher ISO next time. Also, I do plan on getting some "better" head on shots but didnt want to get shot in the lense before I took my new camera for its real trip, my honeymoon. After that, Im sure to give it another whirl.

Shane
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Cool and congrats on getting married!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you can get from the firing line LOL.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:25 PM   #5

I remember using a longer shutter speed and having trouble with the bright images being grossly overexposed. Increasing the iso would make this worse right? It was a very bright day.

Shane
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:29 PM   #6
Super Moderator

There are lots of things that will affect exposure, so if only one variable is changed the this will affect exposure, however if you are in one of the auto/semi auto modes then changing a setting will cause the camera to adjust another to give a good exposure. So increasing the ISO manually will mean the camera will then choose a faster shutter speed or narrow aperture. The best thing to do is use sports mode if you are not happy with playing around with settings or better use aperture priority, set the aperture as wide (small f number) as possible and then the camera selects the desired shutter speed. This in conjunction with a higher ISO will get the faster shutter speed you are looking for.