Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:04 PM   #1

Only had 1/2 hour to shoot so not a lot but it's been a while since I posted. All shot at 300mm 2.8, ISO 800 (a couple diff shutter speeds), no noise reduction. C&C welcome.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hey John,

Good to see you posting some sports work. For me the running shots are just not exciting enough, nothing against your skill, just always feel there is not a lot of interest. With the 3 hurdling shots this is very different, you have a lot more going on, better engagement with the athlete due to the intensity of the face and the movement..... I like. The long jump also has more going on but I'm not liking it as much as the hurdling.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:38 AM   #3

Thanks Mark,

I hear what you're saying about the runners being a bit boring. I tend to agree - which is why I chose tight crops. Track is one of those sports where there's a real difference between high level and average level. The average level athletes just don't look impressive. Compare that to the stride and expression of collegiate level athletes and there's a big difference. Next time out, I'll go for more 'pack' type shots and see if some sense of competition can add some interest.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I think that is the way to go to add some context and competition.

How did the camera perform with the upg?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:06 AM   #5

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I think that is the way to go to add some context and competition.

How did the camera perform with the upg?
Jury is still out. Initial impression is there is no difference but this is such a small sampling I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:34 AM   #6

Shot no.6 is really on target....love the expression and the DOF with the hurdles.

Nice work.

Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7

John, thanks for posting. I agree with Mark. I really like the hurdling shots. #6 is my favorite.

I also wanted to say thanks for your comments on sports shooting. I've graduated to doing sports shooting to supplement my income, so I agree completely with your point of view and I continue to be amazed at what people will ask for for free.
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 2:41 PM   #8

Could only see a few of these but #4 is KILLER! Perfect in every aspect.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 7:53 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Technical quality of the shots are top class! What I like about these is the expression on the faces of the athletes. With the exception of #3 (subject, IMHO, is too small relative to the background), they attract my attetion to the faces. I can see where using a wide aperture and throwing the backgrounds into a blur really make sports photography! #1 and #5 in particular illustrate my point. In real life, sitting in the stands, I'd never be able to make my eyes & brain stop the action and observe the facial expressions the way you've captured them.

BTW, did you have special access to the track in order to take the hurdle shots?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 8:11 AM   #10

Jelpee - thanks. And yes I have access to the track and fields / courts. Access is an important part of being able to capture good sports photos. Although in track you can still get some from outside the fence - especially on the track events. Hurdles are tough to get a head-on view from outside but another great shot is directly perpendicular to the hurdle. Challenge there is if the athlete you're shooting is in the middle lanes you're kind of out of luck.