Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 12, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Default Volleyball

Got some great tips on shooting VB from this forum. Here are a few from last weekend at the Provincial championships. Shot with a Nikon D50, ISO 1600, F2.8, 1/640. Critique welcome.
Attached Images

Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2009, 9:14 AM   #2

Good work and thanks for posting. Volleyball is definitely a challenge. Looks like you at least had some decent light to work with. They all seem to have good exposure and color.

1. The best of the bunch. Great timing and really sharp. Just straighten it and you have a real keeper. I might also crop a little tighter - not sure the other girls add anything to the shot.
2. Good and sharp, but I'm not really sure what the point is. Is it the blockers or the hitter? Just seems a bit awkward..
3. Again, watch you lines to make sure you are straight. Also, I'm not sure what the point is. If its the hitter, she hit into the net. If its the blockers we don't see enough of them - maybe crop tighter on the blockers?
4. Shooting on the short side is always tough. This shot is really soft as well.

All in all, a good effort. You obviously have great timing and you've got exposure and color balance nailed, so just little nit picks on my part....
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 9:41 AM   #3

jschoenr, thanks for the critique. As you say volleyball is a tough sport to shoot, the action happens so fast and it is tricky to frame the shot in that split second it happens. My technique is to focus on one area of play and then hope something happens there during the rally. I'm fortunate enough to be able to be right on the sideline, close to the action.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Nice shots.
I am trying to get this volleyball thing going as my grandaughter in into club volleyball.
I am looking at brighter lens for this. My best at present is a 50mm F1.7 and it is a bit to short.

What lens did you use in these shots? Very impressive.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5

I'm using a Nikon 50mm F1.8. The gym lighting was actually quite good. At 1600 ISO I could set my aperture from 1.8 to 2.8 and shoot at 1/400 to 1/640. As I said before, I'm right on the sidelines, close to the action, so the 50mm works for me.
Old May 18, 2009, 2:03 PM   #6

tough sport to shoot, esp at that level. numbering the photos would make it easier to add specific comments, just a thought. The WB still looks a bit on the yellow side.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote