Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 23, 2009, 4:41 PM   #1

Default My first attempt at diving pictures

Ok this is straight out of the camera Canon 50D....I know I need to learn how to not shoot on auto...but this just totally amazes me! She is diving off 7 meters. I would never be able to get this with my old fuji.....This is a series of pictures of one dive

Not sure where I should post these.....This is going to be so much fun! Once I learn what I am doing!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2009, 6:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The sports and action section is the best place so I've just put it there for you

Think you are off to a good start, you will find that in such situations the AF won't always keep up so sometimes it is better to pre focus on a certain distance and get a good shot of the specific dive. Another way is to close the aperture down more (bigger f number) so that everything is in focus, but ensure the ISO is up to maintain the shutter speed.

Anyway, I won't say anything else for now otherwise you will get information overload. My advice is get out there, shoot different things and post the results and you will be amazed with a little advice and a lot of practise how you can improve. I started here as a keen amateur in 2005 with only very minimal knowledge but a desire to learn and now I feel I have a bit of a grasp of this game but I sill have vast amounts to learn.

Keep shooting and have fun and don't forget to share your shots with us!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 7:06 PM   #3

I wonder if it should have been over here but I was a little afraid.......LOL! Since this was my first attempt and I had no clue what I was doing!
Once diving gets under way.....where they are actually allowed to do more than front dives (when the coach isn't there they are not allowed to flip and spin!)
I want to try manual focus. Hopefully that will give me more liberties. I still have so much to learn. But the zoom on the lens is so helpful and the reaction time of the camera is amazing....so that in its self will provide me with so much more! Plus what a great visual learning tool for my daughter! She already said she didn't realize she wsa a little curved and arms not equal.....Can't for more dive time!
Old May 23, 2009, 7:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I've only shot diving once and that was indoors, it was back in 2006 and my kit wasn't really up to the job but this is about as good as I got.

Shooting outdoors should be more easily done outdoors so you have a big advantage there. I would have a go shooting from the side rather than from behind as you are likely to have a slightly more consistant distance so focus will be easier.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2009, 7:48 PM   #5

I plan to move all over! Luckily with summer the coach doesn't care what I do or where I go. I love to sit on top of the 5 meter when the kids are doing 1 and 3 meter. Should be more fun this year!
On Tue or Thurs I will try indoor....she has her lesson then.....I am sure that will be a huge challange since I will be in the stands and the lighting stinks....
love your picture! My daughter is just starting to learn that dive!
Old May 23, 2009, 8:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but you are really unlikely to get good shots with the 18-200 lens. You will most likely need to be pushing ISO 12800 to get a shutter speed near to freezing the action. Indoors you really want a lens that is f2.8 or preferably faster.

Forgot to say that the above shot was at 1/500s, ISO 3200 and f2.8 and also under exposed (I was naive), so probably should have been 1/320s and as you can see there is still some motion blur, in faster spins this was even worse.

Last edited by Mark1616; May 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:36 AM   #7

yep...that I do know! But it isn't in the budget right now.
What I hope to achieve over the next few weeks of indoors is to determine what size lens I need. 200mm is a little much, 100mm not sure. 135 prime might be perfect. So I figure this will give me time to figure that out. Plus I really need so much more time to figure out the camera before I invest in more lenses!
Old May 24, 2009, 12:03 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm glad you are thinking like that and I wasn't suggesting going straight out to buy another lens without confirming the length needed. I found that about 85mm works but it will depend on where you are shooting from so that needs to be decided first and also if you will even get enough use out of such a lens to justify it.