Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 29, 2009, 1:57 PM   #11

Hi MadMike;

As a fellow rookie, I'll post this advice, and hopefully one of the veterans will add their expertise to this idea.

My camera has a setting where it will take 10 photographs after I press the shutter. It's like rapid fire, except I don't have to push the shutter release button 10 times.

I mess up some good photos by not being steady enough with the camera in my hands and pushing the shutter sometimes causes the camera to shake.

When I shoot moving objects, I use the multiple shot method, then I only have to concentrate on keeping my camera pointed at the moving subject. It eliminates me multi tasking.

If you camera can shoot multiple shots with only pressing the shutter release once, you might like the results.

Faithfully your,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 3:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Hi MadMike;

As a fellow rookie, I'll post this advice, and hopefully one of the veterans will add their expertise to this idea.

My camera has a setting where it will take 10 photographs after I press the shutter. It's like rapid fire, except I don't have to push the shutter release button 10 times.

I mess up some good photos by not being steady enough with the camera in my hands and pushing the shutter sometimes causes the camera to shake.

When I shoot moving objects, I use the multiple shot method, then I only have to concentrate on keeping my camera pointed at the moving subject. It eliminates me multi tasking.

If you camera can shoot multiple shots with only pressing the shutter release once, you might like the results.

Faithfully your,
FP
Yes, my camera does have continuous shooting mode as long as I'm holding the shutter release while I have that option turned on. However, my camera is only good for about 3fps at full resolution. I'll have to test that out and see what I can achieve from that. Even 3 quick shots wouldn't be too bad either.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:10 PM   #13
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Yes, my camera does have continuous shooting mode as long as I'm holding the shutter release while I have that option turned on. However, my camera is only good for about 3fps at full resolution. I'll have to test that out and see what I can achieve from that. Even 3 quick shots wouldn't be too bad either.
The old spray & pray method, you will probally find 3 fps is to slow and you end up missing the shot you wanted (panning motorsports). I think you are better off working on your timing. My current camera takes 8.5 fps is set on continuous shooting and do use it but find I can get the shot I want much better with a single shot (this comes with practice). Had a camera with 3 fps, found it much to slow for this shooting method and would more often miss the shot I was trying to get.

Tom.

Last edited by TG; May 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 8:21 AM   #14

Point taken. I'll just stick with single shot panning. I did that for the go-carting shots that I took and I think they turned out well. I'm sure I'll have a lot more opportunities at a real race. I think I'm feeling confident enough in what I know at this point.
Old May 30, 2009, 5:41 PM   #15
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Point taken. I'll just stick with single shot panning. I did that for the go-carting shots that I took and I think they turned out well. I'm sure I'll have a lot more opportunities at a real race. I think I'm feeling confident enough in what I know at this point.
Try both methods see which one works best for you.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:54 PM   #16

[QUOTE=TG;972931]The old spray & pray method, you will probally find 3 fps is to slow and you end up missing the shot you wanted (panning motorsports). I think you are better off working on your timing. My current camera takes 8.5 fps is set on continuous shooting and do use it but find I can get the shot I want much better with a single shot (this comes with practice). Had a camera with 3 fps, found it much to slow for this shooting method and would more often miss the shot I was trying to get.

Hi TG,

If you read into my post, "spray & pray" then you totally misunderstood and misrepresented my post.

If you do everything thing you can to prepare to take the shot, and then shoot several shots that aren't altered due to the photographer's problem with the shutter release, then you might get one or two that you really like.

I live in Indianapolis, been to the Indy 500 a few times. Trying to get a good shot at a car going 220 mph is hard to do. At 200 mph, a car travels the length of a football field less than once second. I'll stick with my original statement, but it's not spray and pray.

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:41 PM   #17
TG

[QUOTE=FaithfulPastor;973212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
The old spray & pray method, you will probally find 3 fps is to slow and you end up missing the shot you wanted (panning motorsports). I think you are better off working on your timing. My current camera takes 8.5 fps is set on continuous shooting and do use it but find I can get the shot I want much better with a single shot (this comes with practice). Had a camera with 3 fps, found it much to slow for this shooting method and would more often miss the shot I was trying to get.

Hi TG,

If you read into my post, "spray & pray" then you totally misunderstood and misrepresented my post.

If you do everything thing you can to prepare to take the shot, and then shoot several shots that aren't altered due to the photographer's problem with the shutter release, then you might get one or two that you really like.

I live in Indianapolis, been to the Indy 500 a few times. Trying to get a good shot at a car going 220 mph is hard to do. At 200 mph, a car travels the length of a football field less than once second. I'll stick with my original statement, but it's not spray and pray.

Faithfully yours,
FP
Spray and Pray is just a tounge-in-cheek term for continous shooting, I am not saying don't use it try both ways and what ever works best for you. My camera is set on continuous shooting all the time so its there if I want to use it depending on the situation. But if I am panning and trying to get a shot of the car directly in front of me filling the frame I get better results timing a single shot than what I can get holding that button at 8.5 fps. Trying it this way really helps improve your technique and with the OP camera only having 3 fps I think he might get better results timing his shot.

Never shot on a oval/speedway (we don't have them) but have panned at high speed down long straights (Formula 1, MotoGP, Superbikes, V8 Supercars) used both methods but timing that single shot works best for me.

According to your 200 mph IndyCar travelling the length of a football field (120 yards?) in under one second if you were panning with the OP Pentax at 3fps your going to get one shot off every 40 yards the car travels thats random shooting to me unless you time your first shot perfectly. In this situation using the OP equipment I would prefer to time a single shot and rely on my photography skills.

Last edited by TG; May 31, 2009 at 5:27 AM.
Old May 31, 2009, 6:47 PM   #18

Alright, got back from the airshow a while ago. Had a chance to go through my pictures (all 546 of them) and pick some of my favorites... I think I have a lot of great shots from today and I have to say that all the advice here helped out a lot. Most of these shots benefited from a little sharpening applied by Lightroom as my 70-300mm lens made things a touch soft at 300mm but I had to go full out to get close enough shots. I'm quite pleased with the results. Here are a few for you guys to critique me on.

1/160 f10

1/1000 f5.6

1/1000 f5.6

Last edited by MadMikeSS; May 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 6:50 PM   #19

1/1000 f4.5

This one is for Mark, you wanted a shot of the A10 Thunderbolt and here it is.

1/1000 f5.6

1/1000 f5.0

Last edited by MadMikeSS; May 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 6:55 PM   #20

Now, this last one, I really don't believe I got the shot at the exact right moment. The nearer plane is blurred because I was panning with the other plane so that I could follow it into this maneuver. Probably my favorite shot. For those interested, you can look at the rest of my shots here: Airshow

Last edited by MadMikeSS; May 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM.