Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1

Default Movement...

Wanting to work on my panning ability, there's no better place to go than the track for an evening card of racing.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:17 AM   #2

Mission accomplished! ... and very nicely as well!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:45 AM   #3

Masterly, as we'd all expect! I especially like the car in No.3, which has less unavoidable background clutter than the others.

Did you notice it was there as you shot? I ask because I could believe anything of the high-speed brainpower of top sports photographers.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Masterly, as we'd all expect! I especially like the car in No.3, which has less unavoidable background clutter than the others.

Did you notice it was there as you shot? I ask because I could believe anything of the high-speed brainpower of top sports photographers.

That truck is a chase vehicle that goes around the track along with an ambulance during every race but stays substantially behind the pack as a safety measure.

If you pick your spots and angles right, you can avoid or include those vehicles in virtually every race, especially if you shoot a 4-5 image burst. It's not always in the exact spot. At times, the placement can be more of a nuisance than others!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:31 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;976640]That truck is a chase vehicle that goes around the track along with an ambulance during every race but stays substantially behind the pack as a safety measure.QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I saw only too well what the purpose is for that chase vehicle yesterday. I shot the three image burst below and about 3-4 seconds after this, the #4 horse broke his right front leg and threw the rider, who left the track in an ambulance.

The people in the truck had a tall canvas-type set of blinders in the bed. They ran the horse down and put those blinders up on the track around the area and the horse was destroyed, I am sure. I didn't stick around to watch. Seeing that horse try to get around on a broken leg was heart-breaking after watching how beautiful he looking in the first of these three images before he was lost against the rail behind the other two.

Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...the #4 horse broke his right front leg and threw the rider, who left the track in an ambulance...and the horse was destroyed, I am sure...
Oh dear! These guys are the older manifestation of Formula 1 Motor Racing, only with a living vehicle and none of the high-tech safety measures.

There's a widow with two small children living in a very large property just down the road here, whose husband was killed recently while riding with the local hounds, hunting for imaginary foxes, (illegal here to hunt them with dogs now). I'd photographed them all not long before at our gate, with their children's ponies, as an exemplary happy family, and given them complimentary prints. He was just doing it for fun, not as a daredevil professional like those riders. Strange how wealthy folk are keen on putting their children on horseback, way up in the air.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
... Strange how wealthy folk are keen on putting their children on horseback, way up in the air.
... while poorer folk put their children on ATVs and motorcycles.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:03 PM   #8

Greg, what makes you choose the (IIRC) E3 or the 520 when you goto the track?

Wonderful pictures BTW.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Greg, what makes you choose the (IIRC) E3 or the 520 when you goto the track?

Wonderful pictures BTW.
Thank you for the comments!

I use the E520 if I am looking at needing to use higher ISO settings. My other camera is actually an E1, not an E3. Other than the two night-time pan shots posted above, all the rest are shot with the E1.