Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:29 PM   #1

Default local league Cricket

Hello, here's a few images from a Cricket Match this last weekend. Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Graham I don't know how you sit through a cricket match and shoot, I tried it once and almost fell asleep LOL.

I love the emotion in #2.

I think we discussed before about softness and it is something that happens with the images brought in rather than the originals, that was correct wasn't it as 1 and 4 look soft on here.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:09 AM   #3

The softness occurs usually because of the quality of both the lense and camera correct? (Sorry for being a newb just had someone try to tell me otherwise).

I shoot a bit of cricket as well and with all my shots at pitch range (approx 50m) they are all very soft and lack extreme detail.
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:21 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronnic View Post
The softness occurs usually because of the quality of both the lense and camera correct? (Sorry for being a newb just had someone try to tell me otherwise).

I shoot a bit of cricket as well and with all my shots at pitch range (approx 50m) they are all very soft and lack extreme detail.
In the case of Graham's shots we've noticed that the originals are usually sharp but something to do with the post processing/image hosting site he uses causes some to be soft.

In general softness is usually due to the lens more than the body, some lenses even if in focus are just not sharp. Another problem for softness is inaccurate focus which can be for a number of reasons. A common one in sports photography is that people try to shoot with subjects too far away. Take a look at Lens working distances . which gives a good guide. If you shoot outside these ranges you are going to struggle to get sharp results without stopping down quite a bit.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:41 PM   #5

Hello Mark, nice to hear from you Sir. Yes I'm affraid it's the photobucket issue again. I'm in the proccess of looking for a new host! Any Ideas?. I only stayed for a few hours at the Cricket this time as it was too nice & Sunny to waste a whole day there.

Hi Kronnic, thanks for commenting. As Mark has explained I generally don't have a problem with my lens/camera choice rather an annoying intermitant hosting issue whereby once posted they appear soft. It may be something I'm doing wrong but I can't pin it down as mostly there fine? Here's a link to my Flikr site if you wish to see more (sharp) Cricket etc.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesmangraham/

Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman graham View Post
Hello Mark, nice to hear from you Sir. Yes I'm affraid it's the photobucket issue again. I'm in the proccess of looking for a new host! Any Ideas?. I only stayed for a few hours at the Cricket this time as it was too nice & Sunny to waste a whole day there.
Getting away sounds like a good idea.

As for a new host, I just rent web space from fasthosts and the put photos up on there using ftp, works fine for sharing here. If you want to share with others then not sure what to suggest.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
A common one in sports photography is that people try to shoot with subjects too far away. Take a look at Lens working distances . which gives a good guide. If you shoot outside these ranges you are going to struggle to get sharp results without stopping down quite a bit.
Thanks again Mark. Helps me make the decision on which sports I need to say no to when asked to go down and take some shots.

Graham, What size lense are you using on these... Im guessing a 500? I get asked to do a lot of shots for cricket but as you will see on flickr they are just way out of my league. Cheers
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:03 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronnic View Post
Graham, What size lense are you using on these... Im guessing a 500? I get asked to do a lot of shots for cricket but as you will see on flickr they are just way out of my league. Cheers
He uses a Nikon 300mm f2.8. I don't believe there is a TC involved.