Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:04 PM   #11

I found when I was panning I would focus on middle of vehicle as it approached and got the rhythm of its speed. Then panned with it keeping on the center. I used a slow shutter speed and clicked when the vehicle is amost straight ahead of me, all the while panning with the vehicle. The closer you match the speed of the vehicle the sharper it will be and the more motion blur you will see in the background. The closer the object is to you the more exaggerated will be that blur. The seadoo is too far away to have any effect. You just want to take fast shutter speed and get as sharp an image as possible. You can always monkey with the background if you want the motion blur effect. You also have to watch whats going to be in the picture as you pan. The Jag is a nice shot but that fence popping into the picture spoiled it. Same with the truck but not as visible.

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
FWIW, you might want to tell your brother that a life preserver won't preserve his life if it flies off when he hits the water.
Thanks TCav. I already explained to him the risk "unfortunately it's a common thing in Saudi some actually don't wear it"!!!!
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I found when I was panning I would focus on middle of vehicle as it approached and got the rhythm of its speed. Then panned with it keeping on the center. I used a slow shutter speed and clicked when the vehicle is amost straight ahead of me, all the while panning with the vehicle. The closer you match the speed of the vehicle the sharper it will be and the more motion blur you will see in the background. The closer the object is to you the more exaggerated will be that blur. The seadoo is too far away to have any effect. You just want to take fast shutter speed and get as sharp an image as possible. You can always monkey with the background if you want the motion blur effect. You also have to watch whats going to be in the picture as you pan. The Jag is a nice shot but that fence popping into the picture spoiled it. Same with the truck but not as visible.
Thanks Bynx for the tips.
Those pics is just to practice panning on slow moving subjects. I'll try faster moving subjects in the coming weeks. (I'm preparing for an F1 racing) so any tips from anyone would be appreciated.
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote