Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Showjumping

A few less horsepower than i am used to shooting ??

Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:01 PM   #2

Hello Tom!, I'm liking #1!, but I'm a bit confused as to the EXIF?. I'll admit to not knowing what model of camera you are using & if it's not a DSLR then I appologise!.The EXIF shows you shot at ISO 280/f8 @1/180th this, looks a little slow/deep on focal distance?. If you wished to throw the background out of focus? a better choice would have been, IMO, a f4 combo!, as your actual focal plaine looks perfect in this shot!
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:37 PM   #3

Hi , Thank's for your comments, I was using a Samsung GX10 and my new Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 it was the first time i had used it and being used to much slower lenes and shooting Motorcycle Racing i will try harder, and think more of what i am doing !! (i hope) Regards Tom
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:42 PM   #4

great shots except for one thing, the background, there is two much in focus to make the horse and rider stand out, it's a shame really but i used to shoot many show jumping events and sell the pictures so i am only offering advice
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 7:24 PM   #5

The problem with photographing show jumping unless in an inside arena is the background. As I've showed before this is not a problem for me to view, but I probably wouldn't buy one. Too much more shallow depth of field would be a problem as you've already got the back end of the horse blurred. You could loose some of the background in editing if you choose. Nicely done.

I love the clarity of the face of the horse and rider in the first shot.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:30 PM   #6

Good timing. Good composition. Good exposure.

The background is too much in focus, and, as ImKayd1 pointed out, the back of the horse in #1 is out of focus. I suspect that #1 is a crop, so it's hard to tell where the focus was. I'd have used spot focus, continuous autofocus, and kept the spot on the rider. The white blouse, black jacket, white breeches, black boots, white saddle pad, and black saddle give the AF system plenty to work with, so the rider will be in focus and the rest of the horse will be within the depth of field, even at much larger apertures. With a 70-200/2.8, you might have gotten the horse and rider in better focus, yet blurred the background a lot more than you did.

Also, I think I'd have gotten tighter on #2, but not quite so tight on #1.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 26, 2009 at 6:54 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:19 AM   #7

Thank's for all the Advise, This was the first time i was at a Showjumping event, Their were thousands at it vans and lorries parked everywhere. Not making an excuse for bad photographic technic. Was just not thinking What i was doing, think i will stick to Motorsport much easier for me ,Only jokeing Realy enjoyed my day will try Harder the next one i go to !!!! Thank's again.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:15 AM   #8

The biggest difference between Motorsport and Equestrian Sports: At Motorsports events, they won't let you pet the vehicles. ;-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote