Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:44 AM   #11

Torgny,

With all due respect - you need to grow a thicker skin. Realize other photographers aren't always going to like your product. If you can't accept that, maybe posting in photography forums isn't for you. I did not attack you personally. I just said those shots didn't work for me. Sorry you can't accept that criticism of your work product.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:55 AM   #12

Or, let me put it this way. The great opportunity of photography forums is the ability to get multiple viewpoints and HONEST feedback. There are forums where every posted shot is "a great shot" - the people that stay in those forums and never seek out and accept honest feedback don't improve. You don't have to agree with my assessment - that's cool. But if you're not open to receiving honest feedback you're never going to improve. And, since most people here are adults - this isn't 1st grade art class. Not every piece of artwork is a 'great piece'. I'm not an uber judge but I am another photographer. You can either choose to discount opinions of those who dont think every shot of yours is perfect or you can be open minded and accept other viewpoints.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Super Moderator

The first shot works and is a well composed abstract with a nice balance. The 2nd is too wide for my taste and looks a bit like a wire fence. The others don't really do anything in me.

I think some abstracts bringing the worn paint/wood into this would have been interesting too.

Wearing my mod's hat, we don't need personal remarks about someones opinion on a photo posted, not everyone will like every photo or information we post but that doesn't mean we should verbally bash them or bring their view/attitude into question.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

John,

I'll take care of my own skin - got psoriasis. Don't like yoy tone - that's all. Usually that patronizing tone is used to make oneself feel better at the cost of others

Why didn't you welcome me to the forum instead.

Rethink, John

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Aug 9, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:18 PM   #15

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
The first shot works and is a well composed abstract with a nice balance. The 2nd is too wide for my taste and looks a bit like a wire fence. The others don't really do anything in me.

I think some abstracts bringing the worn paint/wood into this would have been interesting too.

Wearing my mod's hat, we don't need personal remarks about someones opinion on a photo posted, not everyone will like every photo or information we post but that doesn't mean we should verbally bash them or bring their view/attitude into question.

Mark,

Yes, thanks for bringing your own view and labeling it as such. Constructive criticism is the reason why I am here; that's a way for me to learn; and of course I want to encourage others.

I prefer though when criticism really is constructive. 10 comments and 1 thread of my own is my statistics. I've never posted in the sports forum before

Torgny
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I think you will find that John brought his own view too but will let him come back on that as don't want to put words in his mouth.

It was a long time ago but you did post 4 previous threads the Sport/Action section .

Is that goal near you so you could visit again and try some crazy angles....... how about a ball in the foreground and then with shallow dof have the goal partly lost in the distance?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:28 PM   #17

John,

Mark,

If you haven't seen this kind of pictures before, especially not in a sports forum - don't be frightened. They are very scarce. Don't judge them after the usual norms. They are just ment to broaden up a bit.

As a matter of fact I had antecipated this little exchange of words. "We´re still the best of friends" are my final words on this matter.

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Aug 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:18 AM   #18

Torgny,

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen artistic compositions with sports-related equipment, etc. It isn't a matter of fear. It was simply my opinion these were not executed very well. I know you don't want to hear that and I'm sorry for that. I just didn't find the composition compelling. Perhaps, as Mark suggested, some different angles or perspectives - maybe some more creative lighting.

I am very much in favor of 'broadening things up' as I have great appreciation for a wide variety of artistic style. So, I'm not afraid of seeing different styles, I just didn't believe those other images were very compelling.

Best of luck to you - look forward to seeing your next shots.

edit:
It's worth noting that others may view the same photos and find them compelling. It doesn't mean one of us is 'right' and the other 'wrong'. Especially with regards to artistic components (as opposed to technical components) I don't think there is a 'right' and 'wrong'. But I think you do yourself and others a disservice if you assume that anyone who does not appreciate your artistic vision is 'afraid' or close-minded.

Last edited by JohnG; Aug 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:17 AM   #19
spy

I had a good look at the photos posted and read the comments, went away for a few minutes and what compelled me the most was the feeling I got from your wide angle shots.

I sense the feeling, 'the calm before the storm'. The anticipation of the game. There is also a bit of adrenalin and contemplation that takes place being the photographer of many events where I would have to show up early and in some cases be there before anyone else. The quiet that resides being overshadowed by memories of whistles blowing, kids yelling, knees scrapped and bleeding.

The photos posted are "sports" but not necessarily "action" in the sports AND action forum therefore these shots cause me to stop and perplex what I mentioned above.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:59 AM   #20

I was surprised at your reply towards John, Torgny. It looked as if you were at the ready to have an exchange with any and all who does not see what you are trying to convey.

I like the first and only the first. I don't care for the loose netting, the unmarked, unkempt, and unused pitch. No wear marks in front of a goal on the pitch suggests that this is just an execise goal to shoot at with no goalkeeper.

It would have had more impact if the pitch was worn looking (in front of the goal) as the goal itself.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote