Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:54 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Cameras at Major League Baseball Games

Does any one know if there are any restrictions re. the use of DSLR's and long lenses at MLB games (in the US)? I have an opportunity to be in a corporate suite (prime location) for a MLB game in September at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati and would like to try some photography at the ball park.

I tried to find some info on the MLB website, but could not locate a link.

Thanks
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:27 AM   #2

Policies differ by ballpark. Some parks won't blink at a 300mm 2.8 lens and others enforce a 6" restriction. In addition to published policy you're also at the mercy of the ushers who often have their own ideas about what's allowed and it may be different than the stated policy - at which point you're not likely to win the argument and you'll likely have to return the camera gear to the car.

In Cleveland I've had no problems bring in my 1dmkIII and 100-400 lens. But I've heard Yankee fans can't bring in anything longer than 6". Don't know about Cincinnati. Also realize if it's a night game, the lights aren't as bright as you think.

Here's the policy from the Reds web site:
Quote:
Cameras & Video Equipment
Quote:

Guests are welcome to bring cameras and video recorders into the ballpark for personal use provided game action is not recorded, as required by Major League Baseball. Cameras and video recorders are welcomed provided their dimensions do not exceed the 16" x 16" x 8" Major League Baseball size requirement. Guests are requested to avoid standing in the aisles while using this equipment. Guests should not obstruct the views of others while taking pictures and refrain from using tripods, monopods and other camera support pods. The Reds reserve the right to remove any Guests who do not cooperate with this policy.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:49 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks John. I had assumed the lighting would be pretty bright--thanks for the caution. I do not have a fast tele prime lens...just my Sigma 70-300 APO DG which neither best for speed nor bokeh. I'll plan to take my camera, but perhaps I should sit back and enjoy the game and the amenities of the corporate suite!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:50 PM   #4

Like John's experience in Cleveland, the Ballpark in Arlington where the Texas Rangers play is extremely liberal. There's one season ticket holder I sit close to a lot who uses his Canon 1D series camera and what lookes like a 300mm f2.8 and he even has it attached to a monopod he uses from his seat and I have seen others with monopods.

As long as the bag can fit under the seat and it does not contain glass (other than lenses!) or alcohol, it's allowed and I can pretty much bring whatever I want in. Of all the professional venues in Dallas, the only other one as liberal in its' policy is the horse track, which is even more liberal! When it comes to the NHL, NBA and NFL games/stadiums, it's a whole other story though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote