Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:11 PM   #1

Default Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen

Took my father-in-law and son (it was his birthday today) to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Grand Prix. Been waiting for this one all summer to test my panning skills and to also try out some of the things I learned after finally getting my hands on and reading Understanding Exposure. All in all I think I had a pretty successful day and we had a great time watching these classic race cars on the track.

All the images being posted were shot in manual mode at various shutter and aperture settings with cropping being the only editing, apart from some sharpening that Lightroom applies when exporting to webpage.

EXIF data should be contained in the photos.

Also forgot to mention this, all the on-track action was captured with my Tamron 70-300mm Di LD lens, mostly all shot at around 135mm. The walkaround shots in the garage and elsewhere were with my Sigma 24-135mm.

More pictures can be found on my site here: Vintage Grand Prix - Watkins Glen
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:17 AM   #2
TG

Nice shots, like the 4th one best, good job with the panning.
Glad you had a good day out, nothing like shooting and watching some classic motorsport.

Tom.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Nice shots, like the 4th one best, good job with the panning.
Glad you had a good day out, nothing like shooting and watching some classic motorsport.

Tom.
Thank you Tom, I appreciate the kind words. If you remember a few months back I had made a post about shooting some action at air shows and auto races. All the advice was put to use yesterday for my photos and I made the best with what I have and I'm pretty happy with the results. So I really want to say Thank you to you and the others who had offered their advice in that thread.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:45 AM   #4
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Thank you Tom, I appreciate the kind words. If you remember a few months back I had made a post about shooting some action at air shows and auto races. All the advice was put to use yesterday for my photos and I made the best with what I have and I'm pretty happy with the results. So I really want to say Thank you to you and the others who had offered their advice in that thread.
No worries, glad that some of my advice might of helped you out and I am sure the others who contributed in that thread feel the same.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
No worries, glad that some of my advice might of helped you out and I am sure the others who contributed in that thread feel the same.
I'm already thinking of next year and possibly also the Canadian Grand Prix as soon as they confirm that it's on the F1 schedule for next year. Getting good racing shots is what was the final straw that got me to buy my DSLR about 3 1/2 years ago after I saw the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis and my shots with little 2.1 MP Nikon Coolpix just didn't cut it. Now I'm better equipped with the proper techniques to get the photos that I can be happy with.